Key Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Bridge

I put in at Ft. Armistead about 7 am. Sparky was already out and on the prowl for am stripers. I trolled past the bridge and had one bump on a crank bait. Talked to Sparky and headed to the bridge pilings. Started jigging around the second piling and it was SLOW. I caught a few dink stripers and a couple (literal couple as in 2) white perch that where pretty nice. Headed to the third piling and caught a decent striper on my first cast. A few more decent perch and I called it quits around lunchtime. I finally got to meet Shady as he was out doing his thing. My hi light of the day was watching Shady chasing a school of CNR's trying to hook up to fight one. He asked me what they hit on and I told him to tie on the most expensive lure he had. Good seeing these guys out on the water today.FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender copy.jpg
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Nice fish..
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I think you're talking about yakfish, it wasn't me, I'm in OBX. But glad that the high light of your day was hypothetically meeting me, lol. That's a big perch!
      Last edited by Shady; 07-11-2015, 08:25 PM.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That is indeed what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

I definitely did put on an expensive lure and went after a ray that almost jumped into backdoc's yak. It was nice fishing with you Mike. I called to see if you guys wanted to grab lunch after I headed north, but you'd already gone. We'll get together again I'm sure.

I wanted to get on some stripers and moreso to see if the key bridge was holding them like the bay bridge at this time of year. I didn't get any stripers over 6", so I wasn't successful. There were so many marks by Fort Carrol, I stayed there for a couple hours with nothing but a foul hooked white perch. There were clouds of bait, but no stripers.

I saw backdoc and we started jigging some pilings and perch were at some of those, some moreso than others. Jeremy came over and they "Elwooded" my spot :-P But it was more fun that way and we all caught some nice perch. Jeremy headed south, I headed north and Mike stayed as far as I could tell. After I left I found the most productive spot of the day, which was some rip rap near deep water and funneling area. It was then a pretty steady catch of nice sized perch with very few small ones mixed in. All fish were released for another day.

Here's a pic:
          https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=1&theater

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Here's another shot after I left you guys.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              That little point has always bin good.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Great meeting you in person Alan. I wish we could have met up for lunch. I am very excited to see the "Elwood" term getting some exposure. For anyone who is interested; Elwood was my grandfather. He taught me how to fish. He would also stand right next to you if you caught a fish. We eventually came up with the term "Elwooding" which means you stand right next to someone who just hooked a fish in hopes of getting in on the action. All fun intended.

Comment

Boy this brings back memories of days gone by, I fished the area for years, I'm talking 60 some years ago. We use to fish an area we called shallow shoals at night the big rock fish would be there every night we used cut up hard crab for bait then the fish became smart and wanted peeler crab. We fished the Orr docks and had some of the best white perch fishing one could ever want. I often wonder are the white perch still there?

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                    Great meeting you in person Alan. I wish we could have met up for lunch. I am very excited to see the "Elwood" term getting some exposure. For anyone who is interested; Elwood was my grandfather. He taught me how to fish. He would also stand right next to you if you caught a fish. We eventually came up with the term "Elwooding" which means you stand right next to someone who just hooked a fish in hopes of getting in on the action. All fun intended.
                    My younger brother, too. Even if I was on the other side of the river from him and caught a fish, within 3 or 4 casts he was whizzing his pole/lure by my head and bumping my elbow casting out there where I caught my fish. At first, I'd just pick up and leave to move on up/down the river. After awhile I just go used to it and in a bit, if he didn't catch anything, he'd head off another direction on his own.

Comment

Nice looking lure!!!
                      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I ended up launching out of Merrit Point Park to redeem myself after the dinks yesterday. Got into some really nice YP in the reeds and about 50 perch around the piers. All caught on my spinners.
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                          Nice looking lure!!!
                          I snagged it once and thought it was a goner! I pulled up some driftwood and it had baby crabs on it. I liked the lure how it sizzled in the water. I need more! :-)

Kokatat Pro Staff
                          Torqeedo Pro Staff
                          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

I snagged it once and thought it was a goner! I pulled up some driftwood and it had baby crabs on it. I liked the lure how it sizzled in the water. I need more! :-)
                            Baby mud crabs, perch feast on them. The stomach contents of every perch today were loaded with them.
                            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                              Baby mud crabs, perch feast on them. The stomach contents of every perch today were loaded with them.
                              Is a mud crab different from a blue crab?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X