Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuesday... north of Bay Bridge... a few little guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday... north of Bay Bridge... a few little guys...

(whoops.. meant Tuesday if the edit doesn't make the Title adjustment)
    After the "funnel cloud" fiasco last Friday.... had to get back on the water as soon as I could.

Met some guy Joe with a red Hobie electric.. only briefly... although he did comment..
    "That's a lot of stuff on the kayak... do you have a charcoal grill on the back too... "

Nothing exciting... caught a double of croaker and spot on frozen shrimp.. the other on fishbites blood worms.
    The perch really liked my el'cheapo Zoom beetle spinners with the el'cheapo salted tubes white head chartreuse trailer.
    Certainly could have caught more perch but weather predictions had a bunch of storms moving in around 2PM. So I hustled back to port.

And a lot of cow nose rays.. more than I had ever seen. And one little rock about 6inches on fishbites blood worm.

Glassy calm day... had lots of fun. And DINNER !
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM.

At least you caught some fish which is always a plus

Comment

Rob,
      Don't you find spot a little oily? I tried several recipes but never got anything I really liked.

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

@ John..

Actually I haven't cooked many spot... but others have... and they may be able to comment more directly.
        I baked the all the fish in the oven... and then picked them clean for maximum tonnage.. and I'll make fish cakes with the combined meat.

Comment

I just asked because it looked like you had a few spot in your picture.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

It's all good. I'll talk cookin' anytime..
            The "oily'est" fish I have ever cooked are Blues... but I don't think they are very oily.
            So it might be what you are accustom to cooking or eating.

One of the fellas a year or so ago asked about cooking menhaden... and the response was they are very oily.
            I don't think I will be cooking menhaden .

Try a crab cake recipe for fish cakes... you could add small chopped mangos and take out a lot of the mayonnaise...
            Panco bread crumbs in place of regular bread crumbs. I also add some chopped sweet onions.... sometimes chopped red peppers, green peppers, cilantro...

Comment

Working...
            X