Unusual catch in near Piney Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual catch in near Piney Point

I took out the old "Gift Horse", my malibu2, because I had a problem with my Stealth 14 (a topic for a future post).stgmeboat.jpg
    Piney Point seemed like a good spot as I could deal with changing winds and resort to perch if I couldn't find decent rockfish. Well decent rock were hard to find though I found a pocket of little guys
    stgstrpr.jpg
    I soon switched to perch and soon got a stringer of middling perch
    stgmeprch.jpgstgperch.jpg
    I eventually found myself fishing a wooded shoreline and cast into about two feet of water near a fallen tree and WHAM! Big hit! I was surprized a
    nd a little late on the hook set....but happily the hook bit and the line tore off. "Slot puppy drum" I thought. but it behaved weird....heavy, long runs, and he stirred up more mud than i thought a redfish would. I was sure it could not be a CNR because of the hit and the location. I was still praying for a drum or gator trout.
    Then i saw him....
    stgstgry.jpg
    It was an Atlantic Stingray. I had seen one on Hoopers Island once chasing crabs (which i netted before the ray caught them) but i had never heard of one on the Western Shore. Unlike a CNR, he did not keep flapping when he got to the yak....he got ready to fight. He arched hi body and got ready to thrust that stinger (much more significant stinger way down the tail si it can spear some thing attacking or stepping on it's body) so I was careful to not reach or extend myself over his back while unhooking him.
    An interesting day indeed.
    Attached Files
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

I think I would have cut the line to avoid a Steve Irwin injury. Thanks for the report.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Interesting report.

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      I think I would have cut the line to avoid a Steve Irwin injury. Thanks for the report.
      It's funny everyone is scared to death of rays now. It's once in a Steve Irwin that that someone could get the stinger in the heart the way he did.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Stingray Point gets its name from the 17th century when Captain John Smith was stung on the point by a stingray while fishing. (Insert Kevin Fry) Smith was seriously injured by the sting, and even gave orders to his men as to the disposal of his body. However, he was saved when Native Americans provided a cure, found at a nearby creek, now known as Antipoison Creek.

With that being said.. Yikes.
        Last edited by Fishtank; 08-10-2015, 12:23 PM.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

I stepped on one in the surf when I was about 14. The barb went through just behind my big toe. I thought I stepped on a piece of glass and yanked my foot back. Then came the pain.

The life guards rushed me to the hospital in a surplus WWII red painted jeep while they were trying to stop the bleeding and my screaming.

At the hospital, they numbed it up and pulled the pieces of barb out and sewed me up. They said it was a little ray by the size of the puncture wound.

I don't want to get stabbed by a big one in any case. I have caught some with three foot tails and had to lay a board on them to get the hook out.

Be careful out there.

John
          John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
          MK Endura Max 55 backup power
          Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Kevin, I hope you were wearing sunscreen!!!

(It protects against harmful rays!)
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

My Adult Son stepped on 1 in the surf at Hatteras .......... I know he has a high pain threshold from previous injuries but he won't go back in the water because of it ........ Said it was the worst pain he ever had ......... Was in the hospital but not sure how long

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Kevin, I hope you were wearing sunscreen!!!

(It protects against harmful rays!)
                Actually....for the first time all summer, yes. Guess that accounts for my safe handling...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                  Stingray Point gets its name from the 17th century when Captain John Smith was stung on the point by a stingray while fishing. (Insert Kevin Fry) Smith was seriously injured by the sting, and even gave orders to his men as to the disposal of his body. However, he was saved when Native Americans provided a cure, found at a nearby creek, now known as Antipoison Creek.

With that being said.. Yikes.
                  WondER WHAT that antidote was??? Since I don't have any idea I guess I'll just avoid getting stung.

Comment

Working...
                  X