Rained out at Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rained out at Weems

TXfly16 (Hugo), On the fly (Harry), J. A. Rentch and I launched from Tucker Street into Weems this morning at 0730 hoping for some perch pullage. Low tide was expected at 0940.

Our window of opportunity was shortened by a fairly heavy downpour that sent me scurrying back to the launch at 0930. The rain didn't bother me but I was dressed for warm dry weather. I got cold! I think that was the first time I have been cold while fishing in August.

We had some success despite an abbreviated trip. Harry and Hugo even tangled with stripers and blues.

I got 10 perch and a dink striper. Seven of the perch and the striper hit a size 2 crystal bugger tossed on a 6 wt. fly rod. Three perch hit an 1/8 oz. spinner. I got each by casting close to shorelines

These are the only two lures I threw today:

B.jpg

Here is one of my perch which was typical of those I caught:

A.jpg

Weems rarely disappoints as a fishing destination. The Tucker street launch is easy to negotiate and plenty of structured shoreline gives good targets for casting. There was no boat traffic to annoy us. Bait fish were very active jumping from the water as I stripped in my fly or cranked in my spinner. (I don't know if the abundance of bait is good or bad when you're trying to trick fish with artificials. I guess their presence didn't dissuade the fish too much today.) But I think if the weather had cooperated our catch totals would have been much greater. It looked like it was setting up to be a very good catching day until the rain arrived.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-10-2015, 01:16 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

great report. any day you can catch fish during the work week is amazing!!!
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Yes, was a good morning. Started with a 19" striper on Marks yellow spinner. Picked up a small blue on my fly rod then a couple nice perch. Can't complain.

Comment

Sounds like a good day indeed! Thanks for the report.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Good work fellas.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Had a nice time this morning at Weems even though the rain came. Caught over a dozen nice perch on Mark's spinner, plus a small Striper under the Rowe Blvd bridge. I happen to bring a rain slicker, so I stayed out a little longer than the others. Fish both shores to land the perch. Attached is picture of Mark, Hugo, and Harry at the launch.
            2015-08-10 07.22.31.jpg
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice report. Sometimes that match the hatch is not the way to go. Sometimes the fish just like to attack the oddball, the lure not the angler.

Comment

Originally posted by skinnywater View Post
                Nice report. Sometimes that match the hatch is not the way to go. Sometimes the fish just like to attack the oddball, the lure not the angler.
                That's an interesting theory.

Our tidal lures especially are often unlike anything that swims in color or form.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

nice Weems Creek report gents....I guess we need not go to Maine to be cold in August?
                  ST

Comment

Working...
                  X