8/9 Solomons Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/9 Solomons Island

Set out in mid afternoon to very favorable conditions on the Patuxent. Heavy boating traffic through the bottleneck kept me pretty much to fringes with the occasional trolling from shore to shore. Large game was no where in sight between a mix of bottom rigging, jogging and trolling. Jellyfish are in full bloom. Towards the sunset I targeted bottom north of the bridge to where I thought feeding may occur. As tide started coming in and sun set, Spot started hitting on bottom rigs of night crawlers and an organic bait prototype of my own design. Caught around 15 before calling it a night but not before getting a welfare check by a friendly pair of DNR officers. Off the water by 10p. Cooked up the catch tonight. image.jpg
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Looks delicious! Glad you go them to bite.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Spot.....yum
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The stripers have been scarce up in the Patuxent this year ( at least when I've tried for them). Good job on the spot. Did you fish the hole along Pt. Patience?
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice that someone caught some spots....they are tasty. Your picture got me hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            The stripers have been scarce up in the Patuxent this year ( at least when I've tried for them). Good job on the spot. Did you fish the hole along Pt. Patience?
            Yup, set up smack in the middle around 40s and let current drift me to shore, then paddled back. One thing I found is that they were playing with the line and needed a set in order to snag em. I would put the rod in the holder and hand hold the line (after the rod) taught while twitching occasionally. I would feel a snag with some give, I'd set it. Without the approach, seemed like they get bored and shuffle off. I left one rod normal and hand held the other, the hand held caught the majority of the fish. Weird. Used the braided line one for better feedback and faster connect. The presentation of the worm also seemed to matter, I used 1/2 worms with about 2cm head open, #2 hook through the body and the remainder free.

Chart shows depths of 90-100s around the turn, amazing for so close to shoreline. I have an idea I'd like to try out, standing on the point, early AM and jigging various heights to see if any deeper fish hang out there.
            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
            X