SMOG Piney Point trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMOG Piney Point trip

The Southern Maryland Old Guys (SMOG) met at Piney point this morning. The fact that SMOG is just myself and Yak67 is immaterial. I arrived at the launch at 5:30 to find Gary already rigged up and ready to roll. A few minutes later we were on the water and soon at the striper spot. We hooked up with a few 16-18" fish early but the action wasn't fast like it normally is. We transitioned over to the boat channel and found a collection of smaller fish close to the bottom of it.
    003.jpg

I decided to head back to the creek side while casting into the channel. I had a nice hit and then a strange fight started with the fish thrashing the surface of the water. Was I surprised and smiling when this nice 17 1/2 trout came over the side. Truly a rare catch this year.

004.jpg005.jpg

We trolled the creek for a good hour with nothing to show for it. Tried for some croaker but didn't have much success with that either. Decided to head back to the Potomac and while trolling I picked up this nice blue fish.
    008.jpg

Called it a day around 9:30 . While the quantity wasn't great, the variety made up for it.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Mike, great report. wish i was retired and able to fish during the week to join you guys. one more year till that is no longer a dream. that trout is like finding a golden ticket this year. congrats. ill have to make it out to piney point with ya soon.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Sounds like a busy 4 hours.
      Nice spec!
      2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
      Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Good report. Congratulations on finding a spec in Maryland.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My what a day! It was a good report "Big Mike". Next time you have to catch a Redfish to complete the Grand-Slam!
          It was fun as usual fishing with you. That Osprey diving in between us and catching that huge fish was the highlight of the day.

Yak67-Gary
          2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Tonight was my first time eating speckled trout and I must say that it rates near the top if not at the top of tasty fish that I have had. I prepared it tonight with a panko crust and puttanesca sauce. Paired with a herb pasta salad and some local French Orange cantaloupe made for a meal that I will remember for some time. Really hope I can find another before the end of the summer.

009.jpg
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
              The Southern Maryland Old Guys (SMOG) met at Piney point this morning. The fact that SMOG is just myself and Yak67 is immaterial.
              That made me chuckle.
              Really hope I can find another before the end of the summer.
              This time last year I hadn't even seen a speck, so I think we're just getting them to show up.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

nice day!
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Awesome speck Mike! And the food looks delicious!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                  X