Goodhands 8/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodhands 8/13

Country boy, j. Reich, Hugo, EMSer, myself and a few others ( feel free to include names I left out) launched at Goodhands around 6:30 am. Most caught something but they were small stripers & perch. The largest I caught were about 3 in the 12" range. I think Hugo gets BIG fish of the day with a CNR. The weather was great but the fishing was somewhat lacking.

Better luck next time, Harry.

Thanks for the report.

Hugo -- my condolences to you.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Saying the fishing was lacking was being kind. The company was good however, and it was still a beautiful day on the water. It is always a pleasure to meet new faces and pick up new tips while doing what we all love.

I am already looking forward to doing it again (but with more catching)
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I agree with Harry and EMSer, the big fish were not at Goodhands this morning. I caught a couple around Hog Island on an 3/8 jig with an orange 4" paddletail. My biggest was a 18" on the orange between the two towers in 3-4 ft of water. 2015-08-13 08.28.45.jpgThe orange was outdoing the white today. On the way back to Goodhands creek, saw two very interesting boats anchored. They were from Chestertown on a one week environmental class for jr/sr high students. Don't see too many of these any more.2015-08-13 09.04.19.jpg2015-08-13 09.06.03.jpg. If you look closely at the Skipjack, you can the original number (22) on the rigging.
        Last edited by J. Rentch; 08-13-2015, 04:29 PM.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice fish JR... beautiful day it was.. landlocked I would be...
          Went out last Friday on that body of water, hadn't been over since last year... good to be back in the neighborhood.
          I launched from Cabin Creek. With the tide and winds against me. Winds were a bit stiff in the morning.. the forecast mavens said it would be so... but I was tired of sitting around dilly dallying about not going anywhere... and the chatter was that it would change later in the day.

Tide was still pushing in around 9:30am... after dallying around Hog Island and some other spots in the area with no luck... dashed through the narrows and approached where the first channel markers are.... as you approach the Chester River.. on the right (east) it opens up but on the left (west) the peninsula still hold land.

There were some gentle rollers coming at me... kind of like ocean waves... a foot or two.. but then it got real nasty as you got further towards the open Chester and the shoals... the tide was still ripping... the wind had picked up... I wouldn't say it was scary.. but there were definitely waves at my shoulder high passing through. I guess it's true... wind against tide... the waves get bigger. Before I got to the tip of the peninsula on the left (east)... I headed back for the narrows.. caught a few perch, and decided to hang out and have lunch and wait for the tide to change before going through the narrows at the 'museum' ramp... it took for ever for the tide to switch.
          I guess that goes with what ya'll been talking about... the tides... not that I didn't know... but with the north wind pushing against the tide it seemed like it took for ever to switch.

Well anyway.. made my way back through the narrows.. it was past the top of the tide now... winds had started to come down.. it was getting rather pleasant.
          Worked in and around the area south of the narrows... caught at least 15 fish... biggest was about 16"... had tons of fun...
          Winds died off to nil... just as the mavens foretold. Got tired of catching the ankle bitters... it was cool though..

On the way back to Cabin Creek... I guess the benchmark to the day... was trolling.. and caught a 5" Perch... on a 4 1/2 inch swimming hard bait shad.
          Those feisty little Perch.... sometimes I think they bite things just out of spite.

Great day on the water... didn't mean to hijack the thread here... but that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Comment

Sounds like quite a haul to that area, a little more than I would attempt,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I was one of the "few others" that met yesterday morning. This was only my third trip out, so slow fishing didn't bother me too much. Still getting the hang of everything. For sure I remembered my paddle this time, so it's getting easier, faster getting going on these trips.

The good news is - I finally caught a fish from my kayak! Only a 10" striper as I was making my way back to the launch area, but a great way to finish off a beautiful day on the water.
              Dennis R

Yellow Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Glad you were able to break the ice and get the skunk off your boat. Things get easier with each trip. I have been fishing all season (rookie year) and I am still figuring things out. I don't think that part will ever change (at least I hope not)
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Hi Dennis,
                  Glad you had some success. This is a great place for Yakers. Sometime the catch is great and some times not. I enjoy that you have several habitats to fish as well as paths to take. Believe me things will improve each time you go out. This is my first full summer at this,and I learn every time. Maybe it is the fishing, or maybe the rigging of you yak- just keep at it.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks for the trip report and describing the launch area. I launched near 7:30 and had the same experience. Beautiful area, flat water, and the fishing was nil. I did see some crabs swimming near the surface and they were a good size. Time spent out on the water is always a blessing. I would have launched out of Triton without the benefit of reading your launch plans and exploring the Kent Area was something new. So thanks! You inspired me!!

Comment

Working...
                    X