Friday 8-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday 8-13

Heading out tomorrow morning. I was thinking of going to Jonas Green and launch from there.. anyone doing anything and either want to join me or have a different place to suggest?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I am launching from Tucker Street into Weems between 0700 and 0730. You are welcome to join me.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm going somewhere tomorrow... my plans always change... but forecast have the Bay at "flat"... we'll see.
      Right at this moment I'm loaded up... and I've got Romancoke in my mind to make it out to Bloody Point.
      Last year I went with winds and tide against me and it was a bit choppy.. but still made it out to the lighthouse... along the way
      found lots of possibility.. there were tons of bait fish last time top water and below... and if you read my reports.. some cute girls
      giving me a cheery hello from their dock in their bikinis.
      Bikinis or fish I don't know... but should be a great day on the water.
      Cheers and have a good one.

Comment

Bloody point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I ain't say the trip will pan out... but I did it last year in far less favorable conditions.. to the Lighthouse... it goes real deep out in that next of the woods..

Comment

In looking at your chart, you can see a finger of deeper water just inside (to the right) of Bloody Point. This area is known by several names that sound alike phonetically: "Hollicutt's Noose", "Holagasnood", or the "Snoose". I have bottom fished there many times from my power boats. You can drift from the shallow edges, through the trough, and up the other side. I often see small pods of breaking fish there in the late summer and fall. The loudest and most persistent breakers I saw all of 2014 were here. Scott Taylor and I could hear the splashing and slapping at least 1/2-mile away. We quickly rode over there and had a blast catching bluefish until it was time to head in.

Further up towards Romancoke is a large DNR fishing reef. It is marked on most charts.

I am curious about the launch arrangements at Romancoke. I don't believe there is a launch ramp there. How do you get your kayak in the water?
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, isn't there a MARI reef near Hollicuts? I heard it was good for some big perch.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                John, isn't there a MARI reef near Hollicuts? I heard it was good for some big perch.
                The reef I am thinking of is shown on the attached map. You can see the trough in Hollicutts and the reef is labeled as a fish haven.

Hollicutts Noose.jpg
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Three or four years ago, I ran into a bull shark in that area on my boat. It was swimming on top, or close to it, and I first thought it was a ray fin. When I saw what it was, I beat feet out of there fast as I could. All I could think about was lunch, not having some, BEING SOME.

John
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

romancoke has a beach launch that requires the same permit that you use at goodhands
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

Thanks John... sorry but it's weird just calling you John.. I have the utmost respect for you...
                      Well any way... No noteworthy fish caught today... been a long day.. lights out at 12PM.. up at 3am... out the door by
                      4:30am.. 1 and 1/2 hours to get out the door.. considering I am already packed... seems lame...

I'll post some pic's and comments later... I'm kinda pooped out... launched at 6:45am..... got out at 4:30pm...

For me it was an absolutely glorious day... I, as Mark, my fishing and doesn't exactly fit the prescribed mold... and the journey... not only catching fish.. is the life experience.

With that preemptive comment... what a fantastic beautiful day I had... caught well over 30 fish.... worked every possible depth and tide...
                      Success to have caught one perch ! Just because for some reason I have to catch one these days when I explore...

And... there we go again... that ol' famous 4 1/2 inch hard bait swimming shad lure... caught a crab in 20 foot or water..

What a great day ! The total experience... I'll tell more when I'm not so tired... Came home with some great soft shell crabs from a road side stand... and a bunch of great corn... and other veggies...

The Journey is the experience ! That's my story (for now) and I'm sticking to it !
                      Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-15-2015, 06:13 AM.

Comment

I left the launch and went straight out to 10-15 of water.. where I started seeing fish on the FF.. didn't catch anything at that depth.
                        As you head out of the body of water towards Kent Point, going straight.. you go around the corner to the right, which takes you into shallower water and then you pass Long Point.
                        Into shallower water 4-6 feet... by 8:15am... I had caught a dozen fish.
                        Continued to sporadically catch fish as I made my way near Kent Point.. stopped before the point and had brunch
                        around 10am on a little piece of land.
                        I didn't really have a set plan to get to the lighthouse...
                        ---------------

---------------
                        One thing I did want to do was work the changes in depths from shallow to deep.

After brunch I went out and followed the contours between 6 to 50 feet... in a zig zag pattern, crossing back
                        and forth the depths. Lots of fish in the water... bait fish on top.. and below.
                        Mostly maxing out at 30ft .
                        My soft baits were getting chomped... a 7inch soft white jerk bait got chomped right before the hook.
                        A Z-man 10X 4inch got chomped.. the chartreuse were really getting chomped..
                        The deck of the kayak was looking like a graveyard of dead chomped soft baits.
                        Still kept catching small rockfish... they were all small today.. I don't think I caught anything over 12 inches.
                        It was just that I caught lots of them.
                        I couldn't seem to get any of the larger fish that I saw on the FF... although what I saw as larger fish may just be a mistake because my FF isn't very sophisticated. Or they were cow nosed rays... because there were plenty of them. I snagged two rays on their wing tips for the day.

I am guessing... that with all the chomped baits... that the bluefish are in the area. But that determination could only be made by somebody with more experienced or if I had caught one.

It was a lot of fun catching lots of fish. Fishing in shallower water... along grass areas... rip rap areas.. a small little creek to catch a perch.. and then working the deeper areas.

Except for maybe spear fishing... I think most of the bases were covered on this trip.
                        I mentioned above I was pretty pooped out... and I was definitely tired the last mile and half.
                        Checking my logs this morning... I covered a hair over 16 miles.

And there was also a bunch of this action !
                        ----------
                        Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-15-2015, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Nice report. Great seeing some bird action, they are the most reliable FF I know of.
                          Mike
                          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Wow a Zman got chomped in half? Sharks!! thanks for the report!

Comment

Sounds like quite the sojourn. 16 miles is a long day. Glad you put good numbers in boat! Thanks for the report.
                              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                              X