Sunrise, Sunset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunrise, Sunset

The day started out with the promise of opportunity. I was treated to the sunrise as I drove over the Bay Bridge to meet the crew launching from Goodhands. As has already been reported, the company was way better than the fishing. Still, it was a beautiful day on the water.

When I arrived home before noon, I still had the itch that only Rockfish pulling on a line could scratch. I puttered around the house pretending to be productive, but I couldn't shake the desire to be play hooky from reality and get back out there.

Finally, around 5pm, I caved and reloaded the gear and headed for SPSP. The day was still gorgeous, the wind was light and the tide was high. I thought it an auspicious start when, on a whim, I started trolling right from the ramp and almost immediately caught a very spirited dink.

The fast start didn't last as I hit the open water and discovered that there was virtually no current. As I made my way out through the increasing number of pilings, I was treated to quite waters with little traffic, low light that made the bridge appear to glow and no where else I needed to be.
    DSCN2454.jpgDSCN2450.jpgDSCN2449.jpg

By the time I got to #23, I finally found fish and made my day complete. Not large or plentiful, but enough to have that itch soothed.
    DSCN2461.jpgDSCN2460.jpgDSCN2458.jpg.

After I lost the bite, I enjoyed the sunset to close the day. DSCN2462.jpg I fished to well after dark, but failed to entice. When I arrived home, just as my wife was getting in for work, she asked how my day was. I told her that I started with a sunrise and finished with a sunset. I quietly concluded to myself that this day did not suck at all.....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Nice report and a 21" fish is large in my book.... well done.. btw.. my wife would have asked me what took me so long.. ur lucky...

Comment

Bruce,
      Glad to meet you at Goodhands. Glad you were able to scratch that itch on catching some stripers. Looked like great conditions for an evening outing.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That's some decent pullage.
        Some nice pictures of the bridge there. I really like the golden glow reflected in the still waters.

Thanks for the report.
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Watch out Bruce -- doing double trips in a day is hard-core. You have the bug. Good work on being persistent and catching a keeper-sized striper.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Watch out Bruce -- doing double trips in a day is hard-core. You have the bug. Good work on being persistent and catching a keeper-sized striper.
            My wife has another word for "bug" - something closer to insufferable...
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

beautiful pics, thanks for sharing
              sigpic

Comment

Great report, good to see that there is life on the water in August. I agree, you got it bad.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Awesome pics! very peaceful evening. Sounds like a great day all around. Thanks for sharing!

JT
                  2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Working...
                  X