Lesson In Topwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson In Topwater

I called the dam generation schedule and they were calling for 2 large gates and 4 small at 4pm pumping at 40K CFS. Sounded too good not to give it a shot. I put in and got in the rock pools near Deer Creek. I threw my go to ripple shad and never got a look. I rigged one of my rods for topwater and noticed what appeared to be a loop in my braid. I was standing on a rock in the pools and I decided to cast it out as far as i could to get the loop out. I cast upstream and immediately hooked a smallmouth. I ended up catching seven and having many, many blow ups. It was a blast. No stripers, all smallies. Nothing big, best was about 14". I found it odd that I only caught fish while casting directly upriver and that the topwater bite shut off completely at 7pm. That is when I am usually switching over to topwater. Pulling across the riffles (which usually produces fish for me) and pulling upriver never got a look. I moved around in the rock pools a little and all fish where caught on an upstream cast. I think part of the reason fishing is so alluring is that you never really can figure the fish out.

FullSizeRender-2 copy 2.jpgFullSizeRender-2 copy.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Nice going Mike, now lets get you some electronics and peddles and get you on the flats this fall!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I really, really want a peddle boat outfitted and ready go. Just waiting for the right deal to pop up on here. Looking for an outback that is in decent shape with a decent FF already rigged. Let me know if you see anything come up. Thanks.
      Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
      Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Working...
      X