Sometimes Lazy works great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes Lazy works great!

After hearing of the opportunities of Weems Creek and the Tucker St launch from recent posts and conversations, I decided to give it a try. I didn't have much time. It was after work, and I was tired, but still wanted to get out. My chair almost won the battle of "Should I say, or should I go?" but I went anyway - just to take a look.

Naturally, I decided to launch. As I push off from the ramp, I slowly started drifting downstream. The falling tide and slight breeze made the pace perfect to leisurely cast to the riprap and docks. Almost immediately, I started connecting with good sized perch on a pink Super Rooster Tail. I stopped counting after a dozen. All were between 9-11 inches and I barely lifted my paddle.

As I approached the mouth, I set out some trolling rigs that came up empty. I returned as dark set in, completely satisfied with my decision to take it slow and easy. The hardest part of the whole trip was loading the boat at the end.

I will certainly return to this spot as it was super easy to access. I have had my eye on some oyster beds on the far side of the Severn and I think it will be easier to access from here than Jonas Greene.
    Last edited by EMSer; 08-16-2015, 07:15 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce,

Congratulations. You've experienced a wonderful destination that offers a leisurely getaway teeming with white perch (and occasional stripers and blues) and pickerel in season. Chasing stripers in bigger water is fun. But to me a paddle or pedal through Weems is as enjoyable and rewarding as kayak fishing gets.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Bruce,

Congratulations. You've experienced a wonderful destination that offers a leisurely getaway teeming with white perch (and occasional stripers and blues) and pickerel in season. Chasing stripers in bigger water is fun. But to me a paddle or pedal through Weems is as enjoyable and rewarding as kayak fishing gets.
      I couldn't agree more. Next time I might even dust off the fly rod and see how the local residents like Clouser Minnows.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        I couldn't agree more. Next time I might even dust off the fly rod and see how the local residents like Clouser Minnows.
        That's fun for sure but it's a rare day when white perch prefer a fly over something metallic and spinning. Yet I'll often forego numbers just to catch those that are willing with a long rod. What's really exciting is to get a pickerel to rise to fly rod popper. Give that a try.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I am as happy just sitting there and bottom fishing eatin' watermelon and enjoying the day, as I am going on adventures.
          Glad you had a fun trip... keep on.. keepin' on

Comment

Working...
          X