Ft. Smallwood today report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. Smallwood today report

Launched around 7 this am. Stopped counting perch at 24. Most 9" or larger. Caught one blue about 12". And striper about 6 ". Was a grand slam morning. Also glad to see MD DNR police at Ft. Smallwood checking fish and licenses of shore fishing people. One officer came over to me while I was loading to leave and asked a lot of kayak and kayak fishing questions, nice guy.

Harry. Where are you launch yak at Ft. Smallwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback
    2014 Hobie Outback
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
    2nd PLACE
    Slam Division

Comment

At the designated canoe/ kayak launch in the park

Comment

I was out there late Tuesday afternoon, couldn't find perch of any size, but I did locate some 16-20" stripers along the edge of the channel coming from Rock Creek. Where you finding the larger perch, presumably shoreline? Something kept eating the tails off my jigs too, I figured they were bluefish. Tried casting a spoon at them but never landed one to see.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          I was out there late Tuesday afternoon, couldn't find perch of any size, but I did locate some 16-20" stripers along the edge of the channel coming from Rock Creek. Where you finding the larger perch, presumably shoreline? Something kept eating the tails off my jigs too, I figured they were bluefish. Tried casting a spoon at them but never landed one to see.
          They're small bluefish. The Ptaps has tons of them this time of year! The perch are around structure around some current drawing feature like a point. Rocky points are generally really productive. They'll also hang near pilings, like the key bridge ones.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

The perch are around the white rocks formation.

Comment

that's where I was fishing, guess you caught them all!
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Very specfic spots

Comment

I launched from Ft. Smallwood on Saturday morning and hit the water around 9am until 11:30ish. Fished in 6-7 feet of water. Caught a bunch of perch, 2 spot and 2 catfish. Water was very calm - perfect for a beginner. Used bloodworms for bait.

Comment

Great time you had. Hopefully the stripers will start showing up soon-right!
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                    X