Report- port deposit 9/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report- port deposit 9/7

Launched out of rock run just after 7 yesterday trying to catch some smallies. The fog was really thick and the bite was nonexistent for about 2 hours. Once the fog burned off the fish really woke up. There were constant splashes around me as I established a drifting pattern just south of the mouth of deer creek. Small white and chartreuse spinnerbaits were the only lures I got action from. I had 3 fish swing and miss my lure. I saw the flash of their body go by in the water when my lure was about 3ft away from the yak. Finally, I got hooked up on a decent largemouth, which was especially fun since it happened to hit while I was using my ultralight. Unfortunately, ultralight line isn't the strongest, and as I picked up some line to hoist the fish aboard, it gave one last head shake and broke off, my spinnerbait still in the jaw. I have fish grips, I guess I should use them! Lesson learned. I also left my sunglasses in my truck, I guess it didn't hit me that the fog would be going away. A little after 10, things quieted down so I went in a just after 11. I saw a few other yaks out fishing and a few Jon boats, but I didn't see anyone else catch anything. I just finished loading up when a guy on a Jackson Cuba 12 came in. He said he caught 5 smallmouth. He wasn't familiar with this forum so I encouraged him to check it out. This was my first trip out with the gopro on the yak attack panfish portrait. At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to make a fishing follies video like bill dance before I'll be able to make on of fish catching highlights LOL. It was a beautiful day on the water, and it beat spending a Monday at work!
    Jayce
    2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
    2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Sounds like a fun day, even without many fish in the boat. Usually when landing a bass I will just grab the line to control the fish and then lip the fish and lift them out of the water with my free hand. Once you do it a few times it gets easy. Even heavier line can snap from getting damaged from the fight.

I was fishing down river from you out of Jean Roberts park, managed to get an undersized Large Mouth and a decent Cat Fish. The Cat Fish hit my spinner bait really hard, I thought I had a monster bass on at first.
    Last edited by mi327; 09-09-2015, 08:22 AM.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
    X