Breaker, Breaker - Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker, Breaker - Over

Set out this morning in spite of the 15-20 winds out of the north to explore some new territory in case Goodhands is over run tomorrow. I got on the water about 7am wondering if my efforts would be worth it. I opted to hug the shore line and try and stay in the lee of whatever I could. The fetch was pretty short, so the northerly winds didn't have much chance to kick up many waves where I was.

I began with a standard paddle tail set up and proceeded to troll shallow waters looking for life. I kept seeing birds working in the distance, but farther than I wanted to chase in those winds. As I was trolling I spied some interesting looking ledges near my route so I rigged for deeper waters and headed that way.

I almost instantly started marking fish. I had on a Tube / worm rig that I had been dying to try a an a YoZUri deep Diving Minnow. I made one pass at the images on the screen and was circling around for another when I saw gulls and terms getting busy not far away. I was tempted to jet over there, but decided to stick to my plan of attack on the known marks on my FF. After one more pass, I couldn't take it any more.

The squaking and screaming of the birds was the siren song I couldn't resist. So like the Ancient Mariner, I reeled in my trolling rods, paddled over, dropped anchor and grabbed my topwater pole. Best decision I made in a long time.

I was in the breakers and they were hungry. It was mostly schoolies with the smallest caught about 14 inched and the largest 22+. After about a dozen fish hauled in. the surface activity dissipated and the silence resumed. I was still marking fish, so I kept at it and continued to land decent sized fish for another hour.

The bite ended and I paddled back against the wind, smiling for having enjoyed the best day of fishing so far this year. I don't know what the final count was, but it was close to 2 dozen fish from 14" - 22". There were only 4 keepers in the mix but I had a blast anyway.

Lets hope the mojo stays strong for the next 2 weeks. I will be fishing the tournament tomorrow, Boston's South Shore and the North Fork of Long Island in that window of time.

I will share the details of location AFTER the tournament!

DSCN2858.jpgDSCN2856.jpgDSCN2854.jpgDSCN2852.jpgDSCN2851.jpgDSCN2850.jpgDSCN2848.jpgDSCN2846.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 09-11-2015, 03:33 PM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

well done!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Good luck tomorrow, hope you hook yup with them again.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice work finding fish in unfamiliar territory. Your instincts paid off well. I fished near to the same area in the afternoon and had nonstop action with small fish plus one 18" and one 20" fish. There were working birds everywhere I looked, but the fish did not stay up long. It required a lot of paddling to cover the ground.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice job! I hit a bait ball about a month ago over at Poplar, it made my season.
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

EMSer - Indeed we had a productive spot on Saturday. Enjoyed meeting you out on the water. Good Luck in the North Fork. Your timing, late September should be superb! 2 years ago I caught a 43" Rock off Montauk in late September, though not from a kayak! They should be starting to stack up and feed before their travels to our waters!
            WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Great job out there.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Working...
              X