Sandy Point Fly Fishing 9/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Point Fly Fishing 9/25

Decided to ignore the reports of 11-15 mph winds with gusts up to 18 mph and went out to Sandy Point Friday night. Made sure I stayed close to the beach in case things got too rough. Chased the birds looking for some action on my 6wt fly rod and found it. All dinks, nothing over 12 inches, but a trout rod gives them a fighting chance. Trolled the fly on the paddle out to the middle, then casted as I drifted back toward the jetty. Each drift I managed at least one fish casting and usually 2 or 3 trolling. Went back Sunday morning to find the birds sitting on the water and no fish busting.

Sounds like great fun.

What fly pattern(s) were you using?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ice Wing Minnow. Pattern I tie myself.

img4dac8b17d2ba0.jpg

Comment

Nice work!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A 6 weight is a bold move! I am sure the dinks made it sporting and a lot of fun. Congrats on beating the odds and the wind. What were you throwing? Clousers?
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I posted a picture up above. I'd say its closer to a deceiver style. I also tie something similar on tubes to use as skirts for cut bait and jerk bait rigs for a bit of extra flash. You can change the size to go for just about anything.

I chose the 6wt because I wasn't getting anything over 15 inches with bait and lures, so I downsized to make the most of what was hitting. lots of fun!

Comment

That's a Great looking Fly!

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                A 6 weight is a bold move! I am sure the dinks made it sporting and a lot of fun. Congrats on beating the odds and the wind. What were you throwing? Clousers?
                6wt is my go to rod for carp in the 6-12 lbs range. I think it would be fine with striper the same weight; considering they aren't nearly as strong as carp, pound for pound.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                X