favorite time of year on the bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite time of year on the bay

I squeezed in a short trip between family obligations this am. Left the ramp in the Annapolis area at 1015, (disgracefully late and I don't like missing the early bite).
    The bay was dead flat calm and the freighters hanging to the North. Warm, humid , and overcast. The plan was to fish just prior to the incoming cold front....and in fact it started to drizzle on my way in at 1300. On my paddle I never encountered a power boat wake...now that's an improvement!

Initially I had my hands full in fending off schoolies and bluefish. I switched baits to Raptors recommended Zman 5" pearl as the blue fish antidote....Birds were working over small fish, I resisted the temptation to play there and trolled in 5' of water. I was rewarded with several nice healthy rock to keeper size, all healthy and hard fighting fish and all released. The way these fish move off, I feel pretty good about there chances of surviving the c&r......They were good fun on light tackle....I picked up one nice rock, down current from the working birds, say 60' from the froth. Otherwise all the good fish I found were in the shallows. With the improved bite I am having to learn some technique for fighting more than one fish. I have been told to "reel the bigger one in first"!
    On the paddle in I had a short but pleasant visit with Raptor and Bange who were heading out even later than I....Hopefully the bite held for them into mid-day and beyond.

Tight lines,

Scott T

SZyn8PNxTjrjka8LFUbGGw8tbzClxicrukw8AmyFFnI.jpgQtNrCzSqECpMMCpApnhnbtpM7OuMIcK5OK24mqq2HMg.jpg

Great report. Thanks!

I was thinking about fishing that area this morning, but opted to stay closer to home. Looks like I should have made the drive.....
    Last edited by EMSer; 09-29-2015, 10:27 PM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice, I was also in the area. No pics but here's the summary: on the water at 7am (HT) to mirror still water and no wind. Rode outgoing to my target grounds, started trolling a berkeley ripple on the great suggestion of a fellow snagger and a rapala xrap deep to add some rattle and flash in the murky, post wind waters. About an hour into trolling, pulled in healthy 29" striper immediately followed by a mystery fish that pulled with such intense force that my 30# braid main snapped. There went my xrap. Large fish gave way to large schools of dink schoolies continually hitting on bait with birds on the attack from above. Fun on light tackle. Switched to perch, pulling in around 20 before calling time at 2:30p.
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Lots of pullage for me today, Scott, but everything was small. Nothing even approaching legal size. Got them trolling paddle tails and an X-Rap and casting spinner baits. Most of the fish I caught were in 4 to 5 feet of water.

I had some brief top water fun boating five in short order in a feeding frenzy as the fish repeatedly slapped my popper high into the air before getting stuck.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Lots of pullage for me today, Scott, but everything was small. Nothing even approaching legal size. Got them trolling paddle tails and an X-Rap and casting spinner baits. Most of the fish I caught were in 4 to 5 feet of water.

I had some brief top water fun boating five in short order in a feeding frenzy as the fish repeatedly slapped my popper high into the air before getting stuck.
          Tucker St or BT?
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Bruce,

I don't know what BT is.

We launched from the USNA.

The breakers were near Greenbury but I could see birds working in other areas too far distant to reach them. Other times we'd get into non-breaking schools of stripers that were easy to catch by trolling trough them or by fan casting.

Stripers are everywhere and active at the moment. Unfortunately the ones I caught yesterday were small. I highly recommend to all to crush down the barbs on their hooks to ensure a safe and easy release of their undersized catches.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Beverly Triton
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks.

I've never been there.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

I've never been there.
                  @Mark... for your preferences... it would probably be best in the Spring and this time of year...
                  From my experience... it tends to be more open water area... but this time of year as the fish move in
                  you might like it. You can south close to shore... and north close to shore around the corner into the South River.

For me... the enjoyable experience at this location is the "open water" feel to it... you look south and you just see sky and water...
                  You get out into the water and look north the Bridge, and looking east a wide expanse of Bay.
                  It has a great beach... and I guess it's that ol'Surfer Dude in me that likes the look and feel, similar to an ocean.
                  There's probably lots of places towards West River that you can explore... there are some that know it better.

What's that... Mikey would say... Try it.. you'll like it...

Comment

Thanks.

I'll get there eventually.

Sounds nice.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Glad to see someone else is using USNA as a launching point!
                      J

Comment

Working...
                      X