First time out Severn River!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time out Severn River!

FINALLY got a chance to take my new kayak out and launched out of Jonas Park and hit the Severn River, took the advice of Snaggedline members and looked for birds or water with fish jumping, noticed an area with both and headed that way I stayed back a bit and casted into the scrum but didn't get any thing. I then decide to try trolling and paddled just past the area and BOOM fish on! I was so excited, I didn't think trolling would work with just paddle power but after a nice fight I managed to get him in the boat and snap a couple of pictures(not the best pics but again I was excited) I want to thank the members of this forum for all the great advice which helped my first time out a success! Anyone Interested I going out tomorrow?20151006_145323.jpg
    New to the game but not a rookie!

Congratulations on catching a rockfish on your first outing. Many of us troll often in the Severn. That can be an effective way of fishing at certain times of the year and in specific places. I trolled for years with a paddle kayak before getting a pedal-drive kayak two years ago. The trolling bite in the main stem of the Severn has been slow recently. I'm glad you found a productive spot.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on what I am sure will be many more to come!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

mccray44,

Good for you.

The Severn is a great fishery, especially for kayakers.

You learned that firsthand today.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
          Anyone Interested I going out tomorrow?[ATTACH=CONFIG]17284[/ATTACH]
          Sounds like the beginning of a new addiction. Congratulations!!!
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks guys! Not happy I got started late in the season but I'll fish until I can't take the cold. Not sure why the picture uploaded upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
              Sounds like the beginning of a new addiction. Congratulations!!!
              LOL! You sir are correct!

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
                Thanks guys! Not happy I got started late in the season but I'll fish until I can't take the cold. Not sure why the picture uploaded upside down.
                Nice job... And you did not get started late in the season this is prime Fall season. Good Luck.
                Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

That fish wasn't hooked, Mister ... you're hooked.

Congratulations - many more to come.

Comment

Way to go on your first outing. Things should be picking up now that the weather is cooler.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Hi,
                      I launched from JG about 8 yesterday. Sorry we didn't run into each other. I only got one 16" north of JG. I have an orange Native Propel 10. It has been a while since I was on the Severn. Beautiful morning, but not many bites. Saw a headboat off the Naval Academy sea wall. Looked like they were jigging. Too far to see if they were doing anything. Hopefully the bite will pick up soon.

John
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                        Hi,
                        I launched from JG about 8 yesterday. Sorry we didn't run into each other. I only got one 16" north of JG. I have an orange Native Propel 10. It has been a while since I was on the Severn. Beautiful morning, but not many bites. Saw a headboat off the Naval Academy sea wall. Looked like they were jigging. Too far to see if they were doing anything. Hopefully the bite will pick up soon.

John
                        I didn't actually get out until about 1pm, (due to some morning obligations) but it was a beautiful day. Do you fish there often? When I got my hit I was literally 100-125yds almost straight out from the JG launch area going towards the Rt 50 bridge.

Comment

Working...
                        X