Is anyone fishing the Magothy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone fishing the Magothy?

The folks at Anglers told me Magothy is heating up. I hadn't heard it to be a productive Rockfish river. Much better for Perch and Pickerel.

Am I wrong? Is anyone fishing it?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

A friend fished there by boat yesterday. Only schoolies. Perhaps bad luck. Im trying there tomorrow evening probably.

Comment

Bruce,

I'm sure it's full of stripers but the lack of convenient public access to the Magothy is a problem for many of us.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Bruce,

I'm sure it's full of stripers but the lack of convenient public access to the Magothy is a problem for many of us.
        Spriggs Farm Park on the south shore of the Magothy is supposed to open any day now. Photos and directions on the Spriggs Farm Park Place page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sprig...08090686139339

If you want to go see it now, you can park in the way uphill lot by the old farmhouse and walk down to the water, or park outside the chain at the lower entrance and walk to the water. It's too long of a carry right now to put a yak in the water.

Lisa

Comment

Lisa - This is terrific news!! I'm sure you've had a role to play, so thanks so much for your work on public access.
          Michael
          Washington, DC
          Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
            Lisa - This is terrific news!! I'm sure you've had a role to play, so thanks so much for your work on public access.
            You're welcome, and thanks to everyone here who sent emails to make Spriggs move forward.

We're not declaring victory until the gate is actually open, but we hope that will happen within the next week.

Lisa

Comment

This is huge! Magothy is a black black hole when it comes to convenient access to such a great body of water, glad the engagement is paying off. (And thank you Lisa again for everything you're doing!)
              -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

The magothy is always on fire for rockfish. can go out and get 10-30 fish in a few hours with a good amount of keepers mixed in..

the problem is finding them.. ive never tried by kayak even though i live on it..

most places I get them there isnt a launch within a few miles
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
                  Spriggs Farm Park on the south shore of the Magothy is supposed to open any day now. Photos and directions on the Spriggs Farm Park Place page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sprig...08090686139339

If you want to go see it now, you can park in the way uphill lot by the old farmhouse and walk down to the water, or park outside the chain at the lower entrance and walk to the water. It's too long of a carry right now to put a yak in the water.

Lisa
                  Awesome news!! Thanks for the update and your efforts
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I fished the Magothy for two hours yesterday morning (Thursday) cruising the docks and piers near Spriggs Pond and Cool Spring Cove. I also spent some time in the middle if the river. Water was calm with little tide and 65 degrees water temp. Only fish I landed were a small rock and a very angry 18" chain pickerel. Usually by this time of the year I have lots of striper action at those locations. image.jpgimage.jpg I think the fact that the water temp didn't appreciably cool until lately has affected the action. I will continue to update.
                    Al

Comment

Thanks for the update Lisa! Please post when you hear the gate is open!
                      Shawn
                      2015 Ascend FS12T Angler Kayak - Desert Storm - 12'

Comment

Fished the Magothy just below Ferry Point this morning (Tuesday)for 2 hours. Landed a 17 1/2" Rock on a rattletrap and a few minutes later landed an 11 1/2" perch on the same rattletrap. Got a few smaller rock as well. Had the river to myself...
                        image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Magothyman View Post
                          Fished the Magothy just below Ferry Point this morning (Tuesday)for 2 hours. Landed a 17 1/2" Rock on a rattletrap and a few minutes later landed an 11 1/2" perch on the same rattletrap. Got a few smaller rock as well. Had the river to myself...
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17335[/ATTACH]
                          Almost to yourself. I was down by the mouth and around Gibson / Dobbins Island. Found breakers on the Bay side but they were all drinks. The inside didn't treat me any better.

Congrats on your catches. It gives me hope after a somewhat frustrating day
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I've been fishing breezy point for the last two weeks and I've caught at least 5 keeper rockfish, largest around 24-6 inches. Actually headed out tomorrow morning.

Hobie Revo 13
                            www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Spent two hours Saturday morning trolling a rattletrap and a gold paddle tail with yellow jig head just off my neighborhood launch in Magothy Manor. Started fishing at 7:20 am, had a 20" Rock landed by 7:30. Added a few more stripers including a 17" and another 20". Water temp was 62 degrees. Action is definitely better now that the river temp has cooled off. I may go out this evening (Sunday) if there's no wind.
                              image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X