Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ya just never know what's out there.. when you peak over the bulkhead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya just never know what's out there.. when you peak over the bulkhead.

Ya just never know what's out there.. when you peak over the bulkhead.

Launched at 7:30AM... first 10 minutes got my first hit...19inches rock...
    caught three more in the next half hour. All the same size...
    Proceeded into my previous proving grounds... not a whole lot of love...
    The dinks were hitting my hard bait swimming shads... the sizable fish were hitting soft baits white.. with a chartreuse jig head. So far this year... it's been the opposite.
    My swimming hard bait shads are divers, suspending.
    Continued to work the area... saying hello to crabbers I've met before.. a beautiful morning... the crabbers were working... and well as I.

Figured I'd go over to a different spot.. had not been over there in a year or so... working areas, as usual going from deep to shallow... the bumps.
    An occasional hit.... still.. the dinks hitting the shads...

I got a good thump on one of the softies... and one of the hard shads... got a pull...
    Stupid old oyster shell... don't know how that happened... I was in 17 feet of water... the diving shads don't go down that far....

Turned around... figuring I'd try and go after that "thump" on the softy... and came back through...
    Yes ! First keeper of the day.. no monster.... 21inches...

Continued... working areas I hadn't been a year or so... lots of fish around... beautiful day.
    Stopped for lunch on a beach... put the keeper in my cooler bag with some ice.

Man... I tell you... I could have just laid down on that beach.. put some tunes on from the phone...
    and well... just beach out.
    I didn't plan to go today... I checked the winds.. and looked awesome.. some in the morning... and light to dead in the afternoon. So late night... getting it all together... I did get some decent sleep..
    But I was still a bit tired... thus the desire to lay down on the beach at lunch.

Well it was the opposite winds and waters calm and still in the morning... and wind after noon.
    But actually... from my surfin' days thats how it is...
    And I had ventured, once again further that I had planned...
    So my "head out" plan... finds me tired on the way back... not as aggressive tactics.
    Although... on the way back... I'm still working it... and there's lots of fish on the sonar.

Came back over the areas in my general 'head out' plan, and where success has been proven.
    Nope... nothing.... but that's ok... got my dinner... caught a bunch of fish.. had fun... said hello to my crabbing buddies....

Kind of fun... while I haven't been sociable in person to the people here... I do enjoy my "water" buddies.

So I worked the low tide on launch... caught fish.. could have stayed in that area and might have caught keeps... Like dude... how many times have you thought should have stayed there...

Oh well.... coming back... tired still working it... and I'm about a half mile out from launch....
    My tired old eyes.... see...

BIRDS.... Lot's of birds... tons of birds... it must be an Alfred Hitchcock movie but in beautiful white birds..

I pull in my front trolling lines... because they hinder my Lightspeed paddle stroke... and charge over.
    I get there... and the action has dropped... but.. but there are still birds around... they are laying down on the water.

Well, from my experience... that just means they still know something I don't know...
    Toss out my front hard swimming front lines... BOOM.. a hit... and BOOM again and again and again and again...

No keepers... but lots of fun and the birds are still with me... maybe they are tired... they have been busy...

So.. I'm fighting one line with a fish on the hard shads bait.. and another line on the softie white.... and they are pulling me all over...
    Two fish... at the same time.. done it before... but they are pulling.. I'm hoping... more dinner !
    And I still have two other lines out... no.. I didn't get a third and fourth... on... I wouldn't know what do with that.
    I'm not an octopus.

And then the water blows up around me while still fighint two fish... WOW... So Way COOL !
    A small skif comes by... I have seen them before.... I hollar over "look boys this is how it's done !"
    One of the lads hollars back... "whatta ya got... perch."
    "Yeah... they're perch ."

Point of information here ! I learned today... that if you have two fish on... while holding both rods in one hand, you can hold one rod way above the other... ... thus giving clearence to crank them in.
    You learn something new every time you go out.

Still no keepers.... fish and birds have moved off... well it seems that way...
    But the birds are laying down on the water....

From prior experience... that certainly doesn't mean it's over !
    Point of information... just because the birds have stopped "pickin" after the top water action..
    Doesn't mean it's over....

So kept fishing... birds are laying down.. I'm still catching....

And I've got a fish in the boat.. and it's taking for ever to get the hook out... way too long....
    I get him/her in the water finally..... with the fish grips on... but he's not doing well at all...

I've got lines tangled... it's a mess.... but after 10 or 15 minutes of care... he/she has come back to life...
    I'm stoked... no unwarranted mortalities today.

Well......... got the boat back in shape... the fish is doing well...

Measured the fish.. and it's a keeper... and dinner...

While it's mortality will be my dinner... it wasn't a waste to not have given a chance and some extra effort if it wasn't a keeper.

NOTES: from this experience...
    Do what you can to keep the fish alive... it is surprising if it seems it is a floater with care you can bring them back to life.
    Just because the birds aren't attacking the water it doesn't mean the fish are not out there.
    With two fish on... hold both rods in one hand.. above the other... so you can crank them in with the other hand.

When you go looking for fish... and looking just for birds.. they might just be laying down... doesn't mean the fish aren't there.
    When you look over the bulkhead... you never know what will happen... Ya just gotta do it !

I "guess" the total for the day was close to 30... but who's counting...

You had an enjoyable and productive day. Congratulations on catching lots of fish and on your conservation ethic.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Gotta love the birds! Congrats on a solid day. It is funny how "tired" can go away, just like that!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

@ EMSer... yeah buddy... tunneled into Warp Drive... even though it was a No Wake Zone

Thank you for your kind comments John
        Other than pushing the fish back and forth in the water.. I have no knowledge on resuscitating a fish...

But, certainty... they attempt to go belly up....

So.. I don't let them do that and keep pushing back and forth so they get oxygen in their gills..
        No belly Up....

In this case... pushing back and forth for the gills...
        Still not working....
        As a last ditch effort... I started also gently squeezing the body of the fish... and pushing back and forth.

And... it worked !

Comment

Great stuff. Sounds like a hell of a day. Where did you launch from?
          Shawn
          2015 Ascend FS12T Angler Kayak - Desert Storm - 12'

Comment

Originally posted by theREELmasterBAITER View Post
            Great stuff. Sounds like a hell of a day. Where did you launch from?
            Well... apparently no one has mentioned..
            but WELCOME to Snaggedline.com

You will have a great bunch of people to help you out here.

My best advise to you... as apparently you are new to this group... is to join one of the many group outings and make friends.
            And thusly through these friends... you will gain knowledge.

Obviously... I am an anti social SOB... sarcastic... and obviously not a comedian... because no one get's my humor...

Just get out and do it... that's at least a start.

Comment

And.. for ya cookin' dudes and dud'ettes...

Just made an awesome Bouillabaisse out of the fish heads.
              Never did that before (fish heads)... lot of work.. but man.. awesome!

Carrots, potatoes...onions, garlic.. and spices...

Comment

Working...
              X