Patuxent River/ Jug Bay area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent River/ Jug Bay area

Went out with my son yesterday launching from Jackson's Landing in the Pax river looking for some bass. We went upstream and saw what I thought were ideal areas for bass, logs in water lily pads etc. We tried several different types of lures, topwater, worms, shad and even frog baits and didn't get so much as a nibble. Has anyone fished this area before and is willing to share what type of bait you use? What type of fish can I expect to catch in this area, if any? There were a lot of jumpers later in the afternoon but I could't really tell what type of fish they were. (Bass?) Just breaking my son into kayak fishing and want to kind of get his confidence up, any information on the area would be appreciated.
    New to the game but not a rookie!

Plenty of catfish & wp there. You have to dig deep for the LMbass.

Comment

i went there early june after i got my yak.... i fought all day to get a few bass and they were drinks. i got them on a chatter bait but it was a long day. i think that water is far better suited for cat fishing
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
        Plenty of catfish & wp there. You have to dig deep for the LMbass.
        Thanks for the info, the area just looks like a perfect feeding ground for bass.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
          i went there early june after i got my yak.... i fought all day to get a few bass and they were drinks. i got them on a chatter bait but it was a long day. i think that water is far better suited for cat fishing
          You're probably right. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Ive been fishing this area for over 20 years and it is catfish heaven. Never tried for bass but bottom fished only. You can catch catfish 365 days a year from here if you tried. Spring time there is a white perch migration as well as yellow perch. There are some big carp in that water as well. To get your son some action I would bottom fish with night crawlers or livers and you will guarantee some action

Comment

Originally posted by Foursteps24 View Post
              Ive been fishing this area for over 20 years and it is catfish heaven. Never tried for bass but bottom fished only. You can catch catfish 365 days a year from here if you tried. Spring time there is a white perch migration as well as yellow perch. There are some big carp in that water as well. To get your son some action I would bottom fish with night crawlers or livers and you will guarantee some action
              That is exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much for the response. I took my son there because it's easy to navigate and not a lot of boats to deal with, we will definitely bottom fish next time and be ready for the spring perch run. Thanks again.

Comment

Pick up a tide table from the Visitor's Ctr so u can ride the tides when you are paddling.

Comment

Working...
                X