The Severn giveth, taketh away, and giveth again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Severn giveth, taketh away, and giveth again

I feel fortunate to live just a few minutes from the Severn River. I fish there several days each week for most of the year. Not every trip is highly productive, but once you get an understanding of the seasonal patterns, there are many opportunities to find fish.

The Severn Giveth

A few weeks ago I discovered a bunch of 18-21" stripers that had taken up residence in one of the Severn tributaries. Over a two-week period, I fished that area ten times, catching over 120 stripers of at least 17.5", and several fish in the mid-20s. I fished all three days of the nor'easter and did well each day.

The Severn Taketh Away
    Based on recent diminishing catches from this location, I believe the peanut bunker and the stripers are leaving to move into the main river and eventually the bay.

The Severn Giveth Again
    This morning I decided to target pickerel seriously for the first time this fall. I had modest expectations. I began fishing in one of my Severn pickerel spots about 7:15 at high tide (although it was a relatively low high tide due to the wind direction). On my first few casts, I threw a Bignose spinner. These are marvelous for perch and often do well on pickerel. But this morning, the fish nipped at the lure but did not bite down. After a few minutes I picked up another rod with a 12 Fathom 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletail on a 1/4-oz jighead. The fish were much more interested in this lure and attacked it frequently. The Fat Sam has a great swimming motion causing the pickerel to chomp down hard. I wore out several Fat Sams throughout the trip.

003.jpg

I also tried a 12 Fathom 4.5" Buzztail on a heavier jighead. I threw this to deeper areas and caught one fish plus had several follows. Those three lures are shown below.

001.jpg

I had to be off the water before 10:00. I had planned on fishing in at least two locations, but quickly realized that the bite was on at the first location, so I stayed there. I ended with 25 pickerel over 2.5 hours. I had only one over 20" but also no real small ones (I did see several small guys chase my lure and nip at it, but none hooked up). All the other pickerel were strong, healthy fish from 14" to 18". My previous best total pickerel catch for a day was 24 fish. Those were caught using live minnows (pickerel candy). Today's fish were all caught on artificials.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Holy Cow, John,

That's fantastic.

Time to move some Fat Sams from my striper tackle box to my pickerel tackle box.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Never heard of a fat sam, but they look just like a sassy shad

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
        Never heard of a fat sam, but they look just like a sassy shad
        The Fat Sam mullet is a paddletail with excellent swimming motion both at low speed and moderate speed. You cannot buy them in any local stores. 12 Fathom is a Florida company. They offer online sales. http://www.12fathom.com/

I learned about Fat Sams from my kayak fishing guide in Tampa, Neil Taylor. Ever since then, it has been my go-to soft plastic for most situations.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Gotta love a good day on a favorite stream. Congrats on the catch and the foresite and adaptability to respond to the natural cycles presented
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Great report John! Seems like the pickerel will be plentiful this winter. Hopefully one day the yellow perch will make a comeback down there.
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

John,

25 chain pickerel to hand is quite an accomplishment given their fight and aerial flights...And that's a lot of slime to the hand!
              Here's hoping for a good winter of pickerel fishing sans ice...

Comment

Great work, Master of the Severn.
                Michael
                Washington, DC
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats John, let's hope they are the fish of the winter this year.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Congrats on a great day.

Comment

Fat Sam's has been a fairly well kept secret...I started ordering them from 12 fathom lure company a couple of years ago...after John gave me one that caught fish...I like the bigger 4 and 5 inch size for stripers- the 3 inch size catch everything- specks, redfish, bass, snakeheads, blue catfish...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've been a big zman minnowz guy. How does the fat sam hold up compared to the zman?
                        Last edited by mebe007; 10-16-2015, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Other than bluefish, they hold up pretty well- blues - not so well
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Fat Sam's has been a fairly well kept secret...I started ordering them from 12 fathom lure company a couple of years ago...after John gave me one that caught fish...I like the bigger 4 and 5 inch size for stripers- the 3 inch size catch everything- specks, redfish, bass, snakeheads, blue catfish...
                            You guys mention the fat sam's a lot. Just curious... is there a reason you guys like them better than other swim shads, like bass assassins sea shads, that are readily available at any local b&t? The bass assassins and fat sam's look about identical, but I've never had a fathom mullet in hand to really compare.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                              You guys mention the fat sam's a lot. Just curious... is there a reason you guys like them better than other swim shads, like bass assassins sea shads, that are readily available at any local b&t? The bass assassins and fat sam's look about identical, but I've never had a fathom mullet in hand to really compare.
                              Fat Sam lures from 12 Fathoms have incredible action. I can feel them vibrate when I retrieve my line. I've pulled them boat-side to see exactly what they are doing in the water. They look like a fleeing baitfish with a rapidly pulsating tail. Even with a slow retrieve the tail works vigorously. I think that action in the 3 inch size replicates many of the fish that our targets feed on.

Also the 3 inch size works well with jig heads from 1/4 to 1/2 oz. You can therefore cover a variety of depths with them casting or trolling.

Here it is with a 1/4 oz. jig:

A.jpg

If you put a ruler against it, you'll see that the 3 inch Fat Sam is almost 4 inches long with the jig attached. Again, it's the perfect match for many bait fish.

They catch a lot of species. Off the cuff I recall: Stripers, Speckled Trout, White Perch, Channel Cats, Ladyfish, and others I know I've forgotten.

This morning I was casting the very Fat Sam in the image above for pickerel in the Severn and caught this guy lurking within a foot of the shore:

A.jpg

So Fat Sam will surprise you with what it attracts. It's not a one dimensional lure.

As Ron said above, they are durable. Twenty stripers on one for me is not unheard of. Of course, bluefish or pickerel will make short work of them.

I do use ZMan lures when I know bluefish are present. But Fat Sam is my favorite paddletail trailer for most of my fishing.
                              Last edited by Mark; 10-16-2015, 03:05 PM.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X