Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River 10/19

Fished the South River Monday evening.

Launched the yak around 3:00pm and was heading out to do some rockfishing. On my way out saw a powerboater banked up against a pier, and it looked like the 2 people onboard were having some issues so I decided to go paddle over and make sure everything was ok. Turns out the engine died and they were stuck on the end of the pier with no way to get back to the ramp. Lucky for them I had worked in the marine service industry for some time and was willing to help them out. Did a quick overlook of the engine and clearly saw no fuel getting into the motor. Long story shorter, I replaced a couple fuel filters and they were on their way! Yah Im a hero!

Now that ordeal is over and Im feeling full of good karma I paddled out to my "honey hole" and got to fishing!!! Air Temp was prolly 65 or so. Wind was blowing pretty decent from the South, I estimate around 10kts. I started trolling with 4 rods and it didnt take long before the bite was ON! Hooked up almost instantly with a nice 18". Released and kept fishing. Trolled 4 rods with a mix of small lures. One of favorite striper lures in the BKD. Normally I dont troll these, but recently Ive been killing it with this lure almost right behind the boat (4-6ft behind yak). About 4pm the rod with the BKD starts screaming! Fought the fish for a little bit and finally got him close to the boat before he rolled and spit the lure!! Defiantly a big fish from the glimpse I saw. I would estimate he was 23-24". After that adrenaline wore off a bit I hooked up with a 21" about 30mins later and another 20" shortly after that. Wind was ripping pretty good at this point (blowing towards the ramp! which almost never happens) and I had my limit for the day. Paddled in and was ready to head home. As soon as I got to the launch point a guy came up to me and we started chit-chatting about yak fishing. After a great 20min convo, he informed me of this website! Thanks Harlin! Needless to say this is my first post. I thought I was alone out there on the water and now I see there are many kayak fisherman trolling the Chesapeake! Im paddling a Ocean Kayak Trident 11. Tight lines brothers~!

KayakLimitout.jpg

KayakWstriper.jpg

Nice story & welcome to the forum! Kudos for helping the unfortunate! Nice fish too!!

Comment

Great first post. I've never heard of anyone trolling BKDs but since it's right behind the yak it seems like an easy line to add - I'll give it a try.

Comment

Welcome to the forum! THanks for a great report. Gonna have to try that BKD thing.... I usually on use those for jigging
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Welcome to the forum this is a great place
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Welcome, what a great first post. Help others and catching fish. It does not get any better.

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            Soon 2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition

Comment

BigRick,

Welcome to Snaggedline.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

BigRick, welcome to the site, as you will find out "you are not alone" congrats on your limit.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

See you on the River!!
                  Harlan

Revo 13
                  Trident 13
                  Cuda 14
                  Necky Tandem

Comment

Welcome aboard... you wrote a great story with an enjoyable ending. You should check out our Meet and Greets if you want to fish with some other kayakers. The next one is Saturday November 14, at Beverly Triton just south of the South River.

Comment

Welcome bro. Thanks for the post and sorry the big one got away. Hate when that happens
                      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

From one "Big" handle to another, welcome.
                        Mike
                        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                        X