Oregon Coast guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oregon Coast guy here

Longtime lurker here. I'm in town for about a week and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some info. I grew up in the Baltimore area but I live out in Oregon and do most of my fishing There and in California. I have my kayak and I would love to get on some stripers for old times sake. Any recommendations for waters? my parents live close to the gunpowder and bush rivers. Are either of those systems good for stripers right now? Live bait or artificials? I have a bunch of bass gear with me. Any help would be appreciated. Tight lines.

I don't have much experience with the Bush or Gunpowder but everything down here lower is producing. 3/8 ounce jighead and a four or five inch white paddletail with your bass gear will do the trick. Ft Armistead, Ft Smallwood, Jonas Green on the Severn have all been good fishing and in general the fish are going a little deeper 10- 20' down.

Comment

all i fish with is my freshwater bass gear so you will be just fine with what ya got I'm sure.
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

dont know those areas i have been fishing around the key bridge and the power plant and the stripers are there ft armistad is a good launch point. I pesonaly have been using 4" paddle tails on different weight jigs, xraps and rattle traps trolling
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

If you live close to the Bush and Gun Powder river, I would head north up to the Susquehanna River should only be a 15 minute or so drive. You can launch out of Tydings Park, and fish the Flats, or Launch out of Lapidum and fish up river into the rocks. Paddletails Rattle Traps, Xraps and poppers should work there as well. You may want to rig up a tube or spinnerbait as well and get some bass.
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

If you are used to freshwater, just make sure to hose down your reels and rods right when you get off the water to get the salt out of them. I usually carry a gallon jug of water to hit them once, and then again with the hose when get home. The salt will lock up your reels and corrode your hooks and guides in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
              If you are used to freshwater, just make sure to hose down your reels and rods right when you get off the water to get the salt out of them. I usually carry a gallon jug of water to hit them once, and then again with the hose when get home. The salt will lock up your reels and corrode your hooks and guides in a heartbeat.
              a gallon jug of water... good idea never thought of that.
              Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
              2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
                a gallon jug of water... good idea never thought of that.
                I've seen some guys who typically fish in full strength seawater who carry a garden sprayer filled with fresh water. They can quickly spray down their rods and reels and the metal components on their kayaks as soon as they come off the water. With our brackish salinity here, it is not so critical.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

hey buddy, welcome.....I grew up in Depoe Bay, OR.....kayak fishing mecca these days

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                  X