Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tucker Street Launch

Gents

It was great to see lot's of kayak vehicles today on Tucker Street as that suggests the fish are not far from my home in West Naptown! I heard really good reports from three anglers today.....

I wanted to mention that the neighbors I have met on Tucker have been extremely cordial about our comings and goings to and from the ramp. In fact I have never heard a single complaint.....I noticed today that several vehicles were parked with two wheels up on the curb. I would hope that we all park carefully and not obstruct the sidewalks. There is a lot of pressure on Tucker from the huge construction crews at the new elementary school, so it might behoove us to keep our footprint there to a minimum...

tight lines,

ST (red- yak)

Scott -

Thanks for mentioning the neighbors there. Unlike another location I have launched from recently, the Tucker St neighbors have always been friendly to me. As users of a great resource and access point, we should always remember that we are right outside someone's home. Try to minimize your noise at all times, but particularly if you are launching early (not everyone thinks getting up pre-dawn is a great idea). Try not to leave trash on the street or beach, and if you see something, please place it in the trash can and recycle bin that are next to the ramp.

Parking has been at a premium this summer with the major construction at both the elementary school and the waterfront mega-mansion near the top of the street. Scott makes good parking suggestions.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good of you to bring this up. I always make it a point to load and unload quietly in light of the proximity to the houses. They have been super friendly with me every time we've crossed paths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Scott,

That's an excellent reminder about parking and being courteous visitors to a neighborhood that hosts an excellent launching facility.

I heard you on the radio when you arrived. You went the opposite direction of me. I heard occasional squawks from the others about a good striper bite but never got a complete transmission from them. I look forward to their reports.

I stayed near the ramp (relatively speaking) and concentrated on catching pickerels in calmer water than the Severn was offering today.

But those pesky stripers once again took my spinner baits. It's amazing that these guys pictured below are hugging shorelines in pickerel territory. But they do put up a good fight on light tackle.

A.jpg B.jpg

I did get 7 pickerel in the boat and lost one boat-side. None were hammer-handles but none were 20 inches either.

However I did get one worthy of a photo and this is what it did to me when I got my fingers too close to its business end:

C.JPG

After it bit me it jumped from my Hawg Trough -- a very ungrateful guest to my photo-shoot.

So for a nice photo I had to settle for this guy who shared the water with me. No doubt a pickerel has never drawn blood on him.

E.jpg

Lastly, let me say welcome to Keith (mccray44) who made his maiden voyage with some of the OGWLF group members this morning. I know he tangled with a pickerel also. I hope he had a good time and will come out with us again.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark -

Well done on the stripers and pickerels -- the Severn fish population has been generous to the OGWLF this month. Now about that bloody finger -- it looks like Halloween makeup to me!
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mark,
            good catching and really nice photo of the Great Blue. Do you carry a camera or is that a cell phone picture? In regard to the damage the pickerel inflicted, I have found it better not to lip the pickerel the way we do the rock. It doesn't seem to pacify them!

I fished without mojo today..late start, got the stink off at the mouth of the creek with a last year legal fish, got soaked paddling west, and then lost my second, a heavy fish from a knot failure. I tied the mono leader to braid in a hurry this morning as I was running late.....i salvaged the trip with some nice rock in the main stem near the route 50 Bridge and south of it. Another beautiful October day.
            ST

Comment

John V. -- Real blood. Not a Halloween prop.

I carry alcohol pads and Band-Aids. Very handy. I highly recommend that everyone carry something similar.

As John V. knows I've gotten braver handling my pickerels this year. Unfortunately I got a too close to the choppers of one today. They're fast and nasty.

Scott -- I have a Lumix waterproof camera. I've been pleased with it.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I would also like to welcome Keith to a great place to fish. Understand he landed his first (of many I hope) Pickerel. 2015-10-30 09.14.15.jpg. Great going Keith
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by scott taylor View Post
                  Gents

It was great to see lot's of kayak vehicles today on Tucker Street as that suggests the fish are not far from my home in West Naptown! I heard really good reports from three anglers today.....

I wanted to mention that the neighbors I have met on Tucker have been extremely cordial about our comings and goings to and from the ramp. In fact I have never heard a single complaint.....I noticed today that several vehicles were parked with two wheels up on the curb. I would hope that we all park carefully and not obstruct the sidewalks. There is a lot of pressure on Tucker from the huge construction crews at the new elementary school, so it might behoove us to keep our footprint there to a minimum...

tight lines,

ST (red- yak)
                  Scott,

Thanks for mentioning this. Maintaining good relationships with those that live closest to our access points serves everyone's best interests, users and locals alike.

The dramatic difference is clearly illustrated between Tucks and Spriggs...
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Ditto on this thread. The Tucker Street neighbors have always been good to my and would even ask how the fishing was. I think good behavior for any launch is a good practice. We do not want to burn any bridges unnecessarily.

Comment

Working...
                    X