Bay Bridge 7/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 7/3

Hit up the bay bridge for some livelining action. Launched at SPSP, which took me about 45min to get in cause the line was just insane it wrapped around all the way to the rt 50 exits. Once I got on the water, I started fishing for spot but had no luck, so I packed it in and decided to make my way over to the eastern side of the bridge. It sucks that we can't launch at Hemmingways because to go from one side to the other is a hike.

Once I reached the eastern side, I ran into stupidjet. He had been fishing for spot but only managed to catch 3. We fished for spot for over an hour I only managed to get 3 and he had about half a dozen, it seemed like I managed to catch every other species besides spot, baby rock, baby blues, and tons of perch. So we decided to go at it with what we had. Well, the first spot I threw in the water I managed to hook a nice 23incher. I then hooked another spot, threw it in the same area and boom, got another hit but he spit the hook and the spot came back all mangled. So, with one more spot left, I went up a few pilons and all i can say is that the spot was not a trooper. It died pretty quickly. It was already 4pm and I had about an hour peddle to the other side so I started heading back to the western side. Ran into stupidjet again and he managed to bring in a 30incher. Ill wait for him to post his report.

Overall, good day out on the water. The striper are def. in but spot are really scarce. Might go back out tomorrow.
    Attached Files
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Nice fish. Glad to see all the effort paid off. Is live lining the west side worth while?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Hard to see how those stripers can swallow Spot that large. Yeah, 3-4", but over 6"?!?!
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        Nice fish. Glad to see all the effort paid off. Is live lining the west side worth while?
        there are some nice fish on those 4-way pilons on the western side. Last year I caught a couple 30's but ive always had better luck on the eastern side. Now that hemingways is off limits, i might fish the western side more.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

nice job GS, why doesnt any one put in at the marina behind hemingways? has anyone asked what they charge?

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            nice job GS, why doesnt any one put in at the marina behind hemingways? has anyone asked what they charge?
            I've asked them but the problem is that they have no ramp. So its kind of a pain to drop it in. Ill have to take a better look to see how high the drop is.
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I called and asked once maybe 2 or 3 years ago and they said no.

Comment

Great job on pulling up a keeper. Its funny how things change in a year. This time last year we were filling up our bait buckets with 4" to 5" spots in 20 mins. Now we have to work for an hour to find a couple the right size for LL. I wounder if this is due to the salinity or the large spot kill last year? Are they even catching small spot lower in the Chesapeake yet?

Comment

Pinch, Kevin, and I found plenty of small spot at Piney Point a few weeks ago. They were super shallow, ~5ft or less, which is where I catch most of my spot in my neck of the woods. I'm going to hit Breton Bay and/or Piney Point sometime this week to try and find some jumbos.
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

There's plenty of small spot in Virginia Beach area but I had issues looking for them as south as PLO in MD.

Comment

Working...
                    X