Potomac 7/3 Snakehead FINALLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac 7/3 Snakehead FINALLY

Got out this afternoon before the rain and FINALLY got my snakehead. My girlfriend got her second. Actually today we couldn't catch any bass and snakeheads were all that were out there. I lost at least one more because I slowed down my frog instead of speeding up when I saw it torpedo out of the weeds. And lesson learned...definitely never going out without my plies or lipgrip ever again
    Attached Files
    www.anglerswithoutborders.com
    Travel. Explore. Fish.

Nice fish. How big did it measure in at?
    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Congratulations on the catch- nice filets, too- all white meat that look like striper and they are delicious-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice catch. What part of the Potomac were on?
        Jim

Hobie Outback
        TKAA member
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Hmmm... I can't tell who's holding the rod. How do we know your ladyfriend didn't get both of them. Congrats on some nice fish.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Good job. Yeah, where'd you get them from? I tried Pohick Bay the other day, and nothing after five hours.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It was actually at Pohick, Tufnik I may have seen you out there one day but I'm not sure what type of Kayak you're in. Those flats in front of the lillies have been very productive for us and always over looked by boat fisherman. Timing is key though. I may be out tomorrow afternoon or morning so if you get this in time come out and I'll show you where I go. Of course no guarantees and there are plenty that know know the area better than I do. I think I just got lucky.
              Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

And Ictalarus... Hers was bigger.......
                Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

You are right- timing is everything- The key is the water level and tides- if you can fish over a grass bed flat that has about 6 inches to a foot of water over the weeds next to lilly pads....once the water falls to the point the grass is exposed, it is over-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I went to Pohick Friday afternoon. It was a last minute decision to go there. Hit the water about 3 pm, right at low tide, and the weeds were everywhere. My electric motor got stuck many times. I fished the East side off of Ft Belvoir, then I went to the paddies on the Pohick side. I saw a few yak fisherman. I tried frog and spinnerbait. Maybe better luck next time. Oh, I ride an orange Prowler Trident 13.

Comment

Tufnik,
                      That was definitely you out there. Sorry to hear you didn't catch much. I got out there at about 5pm and was really just waiting for the bite to start and threw the worm around. I didn't see which direction you went but at around 6:30 the bite started and was strong until about 9:30. The area I saw you is right where I like to start when the topwater picks up then I work my way around. There is a pond in the lilly pads that is accessible through a small opening and is almost always good for a few fish. When I get back from NC I let you know if you want to go out one afternoon.
                      Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

I met a fellow fisherman on a blue/white Pelican SIT. He plans to join our Forum soon. I also saw two fishing yaks in the early evening. I think the shorter yak had a female fisherman. The other yak was longer with a male. They were maybe 150-200 yds away so I didn't get a chance to chat with them. Was that you?

Anyway, I left the water about 8:30pm, which was high tide. A good time to be above the weeds. Looks like that's when the real biting started.

Comment

That was us. Sorry we didn't get a chance to speak but I'll be out there again next week.
                          Travel. Explore. Fish.

Comment

Good job on the snakeheads. Did you eat them?

I need to make time during the week and hit the freshwater spots near me.

Comment

Working...
                            X