A giving November day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A giving November day

Two of the OGWLTF rookies, myself and EMS'r, launched at 0730 into a calm western shore river and 60 degree air temp. Nice for November. We noticed some moving water associated with an ebb tide and headed for 15-17' of water where we last caught nice fish. We were armed with some tackle and techniques learned from Raptor and JV. I rigged a pair of chartruse bucktails with 3" paddle tails in lime.

I caught a nice strong 19" rock with shoulders before getting to what I remembered as the catching zone, so that was encouraging.
    My next fish came in the expected area, and tangled my two lines together like a fine macrame. I'm convinced that one of our pro's with a pedal yak and four line rig could have caught a lot of fish today in the time I spend re-rigging....why is it harder to tie knots when the bite is on?? I ended up with seven rock, with the best and last at 21.5"
    No drinks which was nice. I did have to stay after clearing the lures of leaves and debris. As we fished the SW breeze came on to the point of white-capping but the fish didn't seem to care....

I believe EMS'r caught the fish of the day and he was fending them off on the paddle in to the beach. We left them biting on account of the call of domestic duties and were on the beach by 1100.

Tight Lines,
    ST
    Pictured is a 19 to 20"
    32v26Vs0JUd31K0EazPQgK3WPI5AWfKryHC9TkEDgWE.jpg

Scott,

You and Bruce had a nice day.

Congrats on the catches.

You've learned well from excellent sources.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Well done Scott and Bruce. I am pleased to hear that the spot where you fished is still productive.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It was a very enjoyable day. The fish are definitely still there. My morning started slow with my first bite being a heavy slam. I managed to get the rod out of the holder and began to play what was clearly a large fish for about 10 seconds. Sadly the drag on my cheap real was set to tight and the fish broke my 10# braid well above the leader...

I wanted to give an umbrella rig another try and almost immediately landed a strong 21" on it. I am still learning how to fish it effectively. I thing a trolling rig with a line counter is next.

By the time we decided to head in I had only boated 3 fish -19", 21" and 22". On the way into the beach 3 more decided to join the party - 15", 19" and another 21"+.

It was a beautiful day on the water with periods of gusty winds. The great company and quality fish made it a winner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice day! I hope the bite is still on tomorrow. I'm planning to head out to Beverly Triton beach in the afternoon via Carrs Wharf. I haven't been out in a long time. Congrats again on the nice catches.

Comment

Hopefully I am as lucky on Monday in that area.

Comment

Good luck, bud. I am sure you will do well!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
              X