Wye River - Nov 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wye River - Nov 9

Mark, John Rentch, Scott Taylor, YakDiesel (Dan), and I launched from Wye Landing shortly after 8:00 this morning. The water was flat calm, at low tide, and with many floating leaves. We all headed off in different directions to see where the fish were. Mark quickly found a keeper-sized fish -- we anticipated good catching after that. Sadly, that was the highlight of the morning. I headed to the Wye East River (the branch that runs along the south of the island). I trolled but was stymied by the leaf cover that required frequent lure cleaning. After searching for a few miles, I found splashes in a creek off the river. I trolled through there and caught a dozen 12" to 15" stripers.

I was hoping for something larger. I spotted birds swirling a mile away and pedaled there. I immediately got bites, but these fish were even smaller than the earlier batch. I caught a few 6"-8" fish out of that batch then left. That was it for me -- lots of small fish, and no big fish.

My most unusual catching experience today involved catching a 12" striper by having my line wrap around the corner of its jaw. It was never hooked, but as the wrap came tight, the fish slid down the line until it was stopped by the line/leader knot. I guess if I cannot catch big fish, at least I can catch them in unusual ways.

001.jpg

The Wye was, as expected, a beautiful river. The old historic homes along the bank, majestic trees, and loads of eagles. Most of the eagles were immature without the iconic white head and tail. We saw a few mature eagles and hundreds of geese.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Well here is the long and short of it for me:

A.jpg E.jpg

These two catches required roughly 9 miles of pedaling. I caught the striper in the first 30 minutes of the trip and the perch in the last 30 minutes. No other fish crossed my gunnels.

I got the striper trolling a gray 1/2 oz. bucktail (with no trailing plastic) in 5 feet of water at the mouth of Skipton Creek. The perch was at the mouth of Mill Creek near downed wood in about 2 feet of water. I was actually looking for pickerel since the stripers were scarce. I had hooked three picks in the Severn last week on the same 1/8 oz. jig spinner.

Our group didn't stay close together, each of us exploring different areas. But I did see John and Scott as I was heading toward Wye Island.

B.jpg C.JPG

I also saw the eagles flying near Wye Island. There was a group of juveniles and adults flying together. This was an adult but unfortunately the photo is more like a silhouette and you cannot see the white head clearly.

D.jpg

The houses along the Wye are incredibly impressive. Here are two:

F.jpg G.jpg

So this was my first kayak trip to the Wye. Even though my catches were minimal, I was very impressed with the launch facility and surrounding waters. I definitely hope to return more than a few times in 2016.

Lastly it was good to have Dan with us today. It had been a while since we fished together.

PS It's not enough that the John V. usually catches more fish than us. Now he is foregoing hooks and still out-catching us.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-09-2015, 04:26 PM. Reason: To add a PS
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good report guys. The Wye is on my list for next year. John V. is now lassoing fish? Who teaches that class??
      Great pics and report. I look forward to hooking up with you guys next year

Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Sounded like a good day, we did well on the Severn this morning also.

Comment

Thanks of the report. Sorry it was a tough bite. At least the scenery was nice!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thank's for the report guy's. John I don't think I've ever heard of anyone catching a fish that way, can you share your technique? LOL The Wye looks beautiful. I hope we can make it there next year.
            New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Working...
            X