Launching spots for windy days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching spots for windy days

Hi Folks - hoping to tap into the knowledge base of the experts on this board. I'd like to get out on the water tomorrow but the wind conditions for the Bay and many of the larger creeks that feed into the Bay don't look good. Any suggestions for spots that might be okay under tomorrow's wind forecast?

Thanks in advance,
    Sang

Hi Sang, Where you launch really depends on the direction of the wind at launch time and the exposure to open water. Something more protected, like a creek or small tributary will allow you to launch in more wind than somewhere that is open to the Bay. Also, launching / being on the lee side of wind is generally more comfortable of an experience than on the windward side where the water has had a long time to be affected by the wind before getting to you. I use two apps when planning trips heavily impacted by wind: 1) Launch Sites for iOS, which is a fairly comprehensive database of launch sites for paddlers and 2) Windy, a wind direction / speed app that works similar to Windfinder (which has better predictions imo) or Weatherbug (which has the most direct measurement sites). By first checking the conditions at my target launch, I then can look at launch sites that will get me where I want to be. Hope this helps and have fun!
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Omid - thanks very much for your advice. It never occurred to me to consider the difference in the lee side vs. windward side. I've been using Sail Flow but will check out the two apps/sites that you recommended.

Comment

Launching spots for windy days

No problems, you'll come to find your favorite windy vs not launch sites in no time. Also, I've found the predictors to be very wrong at times. I try to verify the current actual wind speed / direction (actual reported measurement from Weather channel, weatherbug, etc) and compare to what was predicted by Sail Flow in your case. You'll see how much they're over or under actuals for a given period (it changes frequently). I've see it sometimes 10 knots over reported, the difference between fishing and considering staying home! :-D. Same goes for tides! What I see noaa predicting vs observing can be different either in volume or time, for obvious environmental factors. http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/geographic.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Sang,

Fishing in the lee of a landmass can make ALL the difference in how much fun you have vs how much work you need to put in. Like many, I start with Windfinder, then I call up the NOAA charts that are available online. If the Windfinder arrows point towards the landmass (from the open water) adjacent to the desired fishing location, I will often make other plans.

If they point from the land out to the water, it is a pretty safe bet that you will protected - especially if there is some topography at the shoreline. Higher shorelines block more wind and offer better protection.

Wind passing over open water has more time to build waves and offers little protection. This is called the "fetch". If the fetch is long, make another choice. If the fetch is short, go catch some fish.

Today is a perfect example. The winds were blowing 15-20 out of the NNE while I fished the northern shore of the Severn. While there was some breeze, it was light and there were virtually no waves to fight against. Not only was I protected, but I caught my Personal Best Rockfish while enjoying having the water virtually to myself.

Here is the link to the local NOAA chart. You can find them for just about everywhere. Not only does it help with assessing exposure, they are great for targeting likely structure and habitat.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12282.shtml

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/a..._naval_academy

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/maryland

Good luck and tight lines!
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Bruce - thanks very much for your insights. I read your post on your outing on the Severn during high wind conditions. Clearly your pre-trip due diligence paid off for you. Congrats on catching your personal best! At the end of the day, my challenge like most is that the days that I can go out don't often align with ideal weather/wind conditions. Good luck to those braving the winds today and Thank You to the Veterans on this board!!!

Comment

Working...
            X