Need insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need insight

New to kayak fishing. I have borrowed a friends and started to fish ponds. My main love is bay fishing. Not trying to start a debate but which type of kayak would give me the ability to throw on my roof top. Fish ponds and the bay. Most of my time would probably be tributaries along the bay and the bay itself. Would a pedal be better? I know the paddle is the standby way and pedal is new but I have no preference. I LOVE to troll. How effective will trolling be in the bay? I also love to jig around pilings. I also love to still/drift live bait. What are the pro/cons. I want to be able to put on the roof of my car. Most of my fishing will be short notice.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Start here

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Tackle-K.../dp/1499522304
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

John,

Here are some pros in my opinion:

Sit-on-Top: Provides safety from swamping in choppy Bay water but will also work well in ponds and creeks.

10 to 13 feet in length: For good tracking and sufficient weight carrying capacity without excessive hull weight.

Approximately 55 to 75 pounds in hull weight: For easier loading on your car top (Note: there are mechanical devices to help you do this -- lifts and rollers-- even for these relatively light hull weights.)

Pedal Driven: For easier trolling and for keeping your hands free of a paddle while casting lures or drifting bait.

Look at: Hobie Outback and Revolution and Native Propels.

How effective is trolling? I think most of the reports here are about trolling successes. It works very well in the Bay and its tributaries for stripers. Heck, last spring we took Raptor to Trap Pond, Delaware and he trolled for crappie. And it worked!

Con: Pedal driven kayaks are costly.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hobie Outback will take you anywhere you have more than 2 feet of clearance pull the pedals out and you can paddle as well. Car toppable/stable/trolling machine. Best of luck and hope to see you on the water.

Dao

Comment

Just finished the book. Good read. I am all in. I miss trolling and now I have an option. I'm in the market for a kayak. You guys will see my future post and questions.
          Thanks again
          John
          Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Paddle kayak has the advantage in weight and cost but it can be pretty irritating when landing a fish and being been blown a 1/2 mile off your spot before you get back to fishing. Peddle definitely offers the advantage in trolling(covering more territory) and control as you are landing and handling a fish.

At my age with a very easily thrown out back I'd dread having to lift the 85 lbs. versus the 60 or so of my kayak when car topping or storing at home. I can grab mine off my rack and drop it in a pond on the side of the road. For what I paid I'm not afraid of rocks and grass and can get right in there. Yet back to the peddle side , I'd sure like the extra security for the times I'd like to go a little further or in iffy weather and conditions.

I could do this all day back and forth, all kayaks are a compromise. Ideally I'd have one of each for the conditions I'm in. When I say each, I mean maybe a easy five to ten I can think of that would give a well rounded fleet. That's not happening for various reasons and I have to think a little more carefully about something that will meet most of the conditions in an acceptable manner.

As Mark mentioned some of the rack systems or even homemade devices can help greatly in loading and by what you are saying you want to do you may lean a good way toward the peddle side. I'm sure you will figure out how to handle whatever compromises it brings along just as I am with my kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
              I am all in. I miss trolling and now I have an option. I'm in the market for a kayak.
              Go straight to Hobie Outback and don't look back.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

I posted this on a similar thread - hope it helps

A few thoughts for those weighing the pros and cons of aPropel vs. Mirage drive.

Truth in Advertising –I did not test drive either the Slayer Propel or any of the Hobie Mirage driveboats before buying. My decision on whichyak to purchase was entirely informed by the data I found online. I ended up purchasing the Hobie Revolution.

These were the points that weighed heavily during myresearch:

1. The Mirage drive can be used in extremely shallowwater (<12”). You just have to depressthe pedals to their maximum deflection and “lightly pump” your feet in order tomove forward. The Propel drive cannotoperate in water this skinny; you will have to raise the Propel drive and useyour paddle instead. If you plan onusing your yak in shallow rivers, creeks, and/or bays, this is important.

2. The Propel drive can move forward or reverse,the Mirage dive cannot – it only moves forward. If you plan on using your yak to jig over structure (like a reef or sunkendebris) or hold tight next to a bridge piling, a Propel drive shouldexcel. To accomplish the same using a HobieMirage drive boat, you will need to use your regular two-bladed paddle (orinvest in a small, hand paddle) in order to move backwards when needed.

3. At the time I was researching my yak, Hobie hadjust incorporated the “Lowrance-Ready Install” feature to their boats. This makes installing the FF sounder and itsassociated wiring and battery a breeze without having to cut holes in your boator manufacture a silicone-infused sounder box. Additionally, if I ever wanted to upgrade my FF at a future date, theswapout is a no-brainer.

4. Hobie, as a manufacturer, dominates the fishingkayak market. Its products are tried andtrue and you will be able to easily find replacement parts and knowledgeable dealers. Hobie benefits from a die-hard fishing communityaround the country and online that regularly shares tips and pointers. That said Native, is slowly chipping away atHobie’s dominance and will continue to lure prospective buyers and gain marketshare. Native is doing this by offering comparableproducts to those produced by Hobie at competitively cheaper prices; Hobieproducts are notoriously expensive. Native is also building their dealership base and attracting loyalfollowers. If Native continues to focuson building a quality product, they will succeed in attracting a loyal fan base.

Thislist is certainly not all-inclusive, and I’m sure there are many more pointsothers can add to this list, but these were the ones that drove my decision.

I hope this helps any prospective buyers out there and I welcome hearing from anyNative Slayer Propel owners out there as to what drove their buying decisions.

-manny
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                X