Season's end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season's end

Always the saddest day of the year when I put the yak up for the winter. I don't have a dry suit (not sure I could even find one that fits) and do not trust waders with a belt, so when the water gets cold I call it a season. Was going through the last of my photos and found a couple from late last month that remind me why I kayak fish and that will tide me over until the spring.

Beach Launch.jpgdawn patrol.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

DSCN0287.jpgDSCN0288.jpg

Ditto Big Mike Ditto

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Last edited by Yak67; 11-12-2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

You Guys Had a Great Season!

Comment

it was an amazing season and i surely wouldn't of fished so many new waters without you guys. ill be making mods this week to my yak and then putting her to bed for the winter as well. can't wait to fish late spring with you all. couldn't of asked for a better group of guys to fish these amazing waters with!
        Rich
        Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

I fish in the winter without a dry suit. Are Hobie kayaks that unstable? With caution I don't have any problems fishing in winter, other than ice and reasonable comfort. Sticking to familiar locations, kayak fishing with others, and avoiding unnecessary risks works for me in the winter time.

Comment

Season's end

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            I fish in the winter without a dry suit. Are Hobie kayaks that unstable? With caution I don't have any problems fishing in winter, other than ice and reasonable comfort. Sticking to familiar locations, kayak fishing with others, and avoiding unnecessary risks works for me in the winter time.

Like you I don't think I would/can flip my PA, but I've come close when a wave hit me the wrong way. Everyone has their own standards of risk. When I was younger I fished in a canoe in the Potomac in January with no one else around and no protective water gear on. It was stupid and like many of us as we get older I wonder now why I did those things. Now I fish from shore at community ponds to get my winter fishing fix. Just like learning to fish from a kayak where range is limited, shore fishing forces you to concentrate on an even smaller area of water and to learn what is working that day or week. In the end its really about just being outside with that eternal spark of optimism that this cast is going to be the one, no matter if its in a boat or from shore. To those who fish in their kayaks year round, Bravo and I love reading your stories. For me its terra firma until the crocus start to push out of the soil.

Just walked outside and wondering if my azaleas are trying to tell me something.
            ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447343520.313819.jpg
            Last edited by Big Mike; 11-12-2015, 10:52 AM.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I'm comfortable fishing later in the year in the rivers and creeks but I'm curious how late in the year the Stripers are in the Tribs? I can't quite get the sound of a screaming drag and rod bouncing in the rod holder out of my head.....

Thanks,
              Elsea

Comment

Mike,
                Thanks for tutoring me and showing me the good spots for fishing! I enjoyed this season and look forward to next year now that I know what the heck to look for! I thing I'm going to try to go out this weekend for one last time...

Walt
                Walt
                Heritage Angler 12'

Comment

Originally posted by Elsea View Post
                  I'm comfortable fishing later in the year in the rivers and creeks but I'm curious how late in the year the Stripers are in the Tribs? I can't quite get the sound of a screaming drag and rod bouncing in the rod holder out of my head.....

Thanks,
                  Elsea
                  There are still some in tributaries but not as thick as they were a few weeks ago.

Raptor and I found a pocket of these guys yesterday:

B.jpg

We called them clones because the fish we caught were identical in size until he upped the score and caught several over 20 inches including a 22 incher.

We were in the back end of a narrow creek in 5 to 10 feet of water several miles from the Bay proper.

They gave us a couple hours of fun before the rain chased us off of the water.
                  Last edited by Mark; 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X