A Very Good Day on the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Good Day on the Severn

The Severn River is an amazing fishery that provides enough fish species to satisfy the varied interests of most anglers. Add an unseasonably warm day, negligible wind, blue skies and you have the perfect venue for a kayak fishing outing.

This morning a small armada of Snaggedline members launched from Jonas Green. While most headed to deeper water to troll for stripers I had more leisurely plans. My goal was to peruse the creeks and inlets for pickerel. So most of the fleet went one way on the river, I went the other. The Severn was dead calm.

A.JPG

Soon I was in a cove all by myself.

D.jpg

To me this is beauty of a kayak. You can fish bigger water and be very successful. I could hear my friends on channel 68 reporting "20 inches", "22 inches", etc. I knew they were into good fish. But you can also work waters like the photo above that are inaccessible to fishing by larger boats. I was happy for my friends and perfectly contented to be in this peaceful cove. I had fairly good success there boating 4 pickerels. However, they were tentative at best. I got a lot of follows today. They were not slashing at lures as they do on other days.

So I left this cove after making two shoreline passes and headed to another.

The pickerel there were also tentative. I got follows but few hits. In an effort to interest them I tied on the gaudiest most colorful spinner in my box.

C.jpg

And I got my own 20 incher:

B.jpg

Shortly after, I headed back to Jonas. I caught a small striper in the river along the way. On the fly (Harry) was on the beach packing up when I arrived. He had a keeper in the cooler and said he released many others. Most of the guys were still on the water and still catching. I look forward to their reports.

Again, it was a very good day on the Severn.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Nice! I'll be on the Severn tomorrow morning and can't wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Good is one word that might describe today's fishing. Incredible would be the one I would opt for. Some might say epic...

We launched at 7:20 and the water was flat calm with the tide just cresting and about to ebb. While i had a slower start, Harry and others got into keepers right away. Soon after, I started catching the same cloned 18"-19" fish that were everywhere. I had 5 in short order and, after a work call, I left the pack to search for some bigger fish.

I headed towards the spot where I caught my current PB and quickly bested it by a 1/2" - 26". Another pass yielded 25" and then 23" and finally a 20" before I left to search other grounds.

I radioed the team for intel and they were too busy catching fish to talk. I took that as a clear sign that I needed to relocate to their position. I kicked it into high gear and headed their way, but I kept getting delayed by those damn 18" clones again. When I reached them shortly after, I understood why they had more important things on their minds. More keepers joined the fray as I quickly boated 22"s and 23"s and, you guessed it, 18"-19".

By the time Raptor and I landed at 2:30, we had more fish than could be counted. I estimate my final tally to be about 25 with many solid keepers and a new PB. I know others had more than that.

It was the perfect day - great company, exceptional weather, perfect tide and virtually no wind - and the fish were happy to indulge our desires! It doesn't get much better than that.

DSCN3099.jpgDSCN3122.jpgDSCN3097.jpgDSCN3098.jpgDSCN3106.jpgDSCN3105.jpgDSCN3104.jpgDSCN3103.jpgDSCN3114.jpgDSCN3124.jpg
      Last edited by EMSer; 11-16-2015, 04:26 PM.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I echo EMser's comments regarding this morning. It was a perfect day to be on the water. I was one who went south below the New Severn River Bridge. Spent about 5 hours and 12+ miles on my Slayer 10. I caught at least 8, with my personal best at 25". 2015-11-16 14.03.48.jpg Was kind of funny, a couple of center consoles started following us around as we were landing fish, but definitely did not do as well, got frustrated and left. It was also kind of nice to see a lot of kayakers on the water at the same time.2015-11-16 12.43.23 - Copy.jpg. One other thing, no matter how big or small, all the fish today had some great pillage. Several time my reel was spinning out line as fast as I could reel in. Total fun.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Wow!

That's even better than the chatter I heard on the radio from you guys.

Epic day is a completely appropriate description.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great work fellows. The OGWLF were on their game today. I'm sorry I could not join in the fun.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice! Care to share depth and lures? I was planning on going after catfish tomorrow, but could change plans...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Way to go OGWLF + a few more. Great day on the water and fish to boot! I wish I could be there. Come on Hobie where is my Outback????
                That was a great day, good to see so many SL Yaks on the water together.
                Glad the center consoles got frustrated and left

Yak67
                2015 Hobie PA-14
                2016 Hobie OutbacK LE ???

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  Nice! Care to share depth and lures? I was planning on going after catfish tomorrow, but could change plans...
                  Bucktails, deep
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I was using 1/2 white jigs with white or opaque paddle,tails. Depth was between 15-30"ft. Lots of birds working today.

John
                    John Rentch
                    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I was about a mile north of the boys when the were nailing stripers. When I crossed the river I called to them and told them my FF was lit up with arches at 20 to 25 feet. (I had only pickerel lures with me.) One called back and said they were fishing deep. I think the river is full of stripers at the moment. You can't go wrong with 1/2 to 5/8 oz. jigs and bucktails with sufficient line out to keep them deep.

Good luck.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats on the catches! It was a beautiful day.
                        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work guys….I went out for a spell yesterday morning and only got one pull down. Lots of boats out trolling the patapsco and no one I saw was pulling any fish in. A big change from last time I went out. I'm thinking I may have been fishing a bit too shallow or a little too soon after the cold front that passed through. Excuses, excuses…...
                          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yes was great day. Ended up with about 12 stripers biggest at23, took a 22 home. Many were keepers today. Great weather and fishing. Won't be many more days like this before winter.

Comment

I saw a few of the yaks out on the water coming back for Annapolis yesterday morning. I wish I could have went. I thought I was going to get into an accident from staring out into the Severn as I drover across the bridge looking south...great reports.
                              Shawn
                              2015 Ascend FS12T Angler Kayak - Desert Storm - 12'

Comment

Working...
                              X