My first keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first keepers

Ok, a little embarrassing because I'm still very much an amateur at this, but back on November 8 I caught my first two keeper size stripers. Last April I did catch a 24 incher (my PB) but it was pretty messed up with sores and I believe it had to be like 28 inches during trophy season so I threw him back. Anyway, I was able to land 2 20 inch stripers earlier this month. They were the only two fish I caught on the day. I was around the mouth of the Rhode River. Here's the evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PN6-rnPnP4

I tend to keep my drag pretty loose and then tighten it up to reel in the fish, not sure if I should have the drag that loose? It makes the reel in more fun though because there tends to be a fair amount of line out!

I enjoyed a fillet that night and the fish tacos later in the week! Very satisfying meals! Thanks to all the experts on here for the advice over the past year and thanks to Alan for his inspiring book!

Great Job catching and a great video. Keep up the great fun

Looks good to me for an amateur

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

You use that amateur status pretty quick with fish like that way to go..
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Congratulations on your first keepers. I am sure there will be many more!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice job. A couple pieces of equipment I would suggest to make things easier for you would be either a fish grip or Boga grip. It would make handling the fish easier for you, otherwise nice job.

Comment

Thanks all. I do have grips I just end up never grabbing them in the heat of the battle. If I land a bigger fish or one with teeth, like a bluefish, I'd for sure be grabbing for them. I'll give it shot either way next time if I can remember.

Comment

I laughed during the whole video but ONLY because I had the same exact issues when I was catching them yesterday! What to do with the rod? How to stop one fish from jumping back into the water while your reeling in another fish? how to stop the lines from getting tangled up. I'm sure we'll figure it out as we get more experience. What size trolling motor do you have on your yak? I'm thinking of putting one on mine. Looks like November is the month of keepers, congrats on your first!
              New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

I think my problem is not leaving enough slack in the line and it does make it more awkward to handle the rod. I'm going to try leaving some more slack next time.

I have a minnekota riptide 45lb thrust trolling motor. Really it's a bit too large for the yak, but my 30lb motor is only a freshwater motor. I haven't been brave enough to use the fresh water motor in the brackish bay yet. I seriously doubt it would hurt it though. My whole setup is really kind of oversized and between me and all the gear I sometimes half wonder if I'm going to sink the thing!

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                  I think my problem is not leaving enough slack in the line and it does make it more awkward to handle the rod. I'm going to try leaving some more slack next time.

I have a minnekota riptide 45lb thrust trolling motor. Really it's a bit too large for the yak, but my 30lb motor is only a freshwater motor. I haven't been brave enough to use the fresh water motor in the brackish bay yet. I seriously doubt it would hurt it though. My whole setup is really kind of oversized and between me and all the gear I sometimes half wonder if I'm going to sink the thing!
                  I got you. Did you make your own mount for the motor and where do you put the battery?

Comment

The battery fits nicely behind the seat, it's a good size battery too. For the mount, I got one that was specifically made for my old town predator kayak from Austin kayak, but they sell others too.
                    http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...tor-Mount.html

Comment

I think a good rule of thumb on drag is to keep it tight enough that you can pull line off, using your hand between the reel and the first eye, with a moderate amount of force. Tightening and loosening the drag during the fight is a good way to lose the fish.
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Yep, I've heard that too and that's about where I try to keep it, but it seems like when you get a 20 incher or more they're gaining more line than I'm reeling in with the drag set there, so I tighten it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                          I think a good rule of thumb on drag is to keep it tight enough that you can pull line off, using your hand between the reel and the first eye, with a moderate amount of force. Tightening and loosening the drag during the fight is a good way to lose the fish.
                          Never heard that, thanks for the tip.

Comment

If I get a large fish by the leader or in the kayak, I try to open the bail on my spinning reel. That way, if the fish lunges, it cannot break off the rod tip.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                            X