Severn slam 11/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn slam 11/17

After the stellar report from members yesterday, I decided to hit the severn today with a goal of pickerel and striper. I started off the morning hitting an 18 and a 23" striper quick and decided to then head on in to a creek for some pickerel. The pickerel in this creek were numerous but mostly small. I caught well over a dozen and missed many more with the biggest at 22.
    After about 2 hours on the pickerel, I decided to headed back out for striper, I trolled around for about 90 minutes with mostly a blank FF, picking up two more an 18 and 19.75.
    So, with the striper seemingly thinned out, I went back to pickerel. In my second stop the pickerel were larger on average and seemed stacked primarily in a couple areas. I caught well over a dozen in this creek as well with a 21, 22, 23, and 23.5 being the best ones. The surprise of the day was the last fish, a beautiful nearly 12" yellow perch. I got the Severn slam!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Congrats on making the best of what appeared to be a marginal day! Nice pics was well

It was great meeting you on the water this morning. I was only able to get 7 before all was said and done with 22" being my biggest. The catch paled compared to yesterday's. It is clear that I have been spoiled for a while....
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice going Ryan. You had a great day on the pickerel and caught a few other fish to round things out.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ryan,

That's a fantastic Severn outing.

Can you share what you were using on the pickerels?

I have yet to catch a yellow perch in the Severn.

Thanks for the report and photos and congratulations on a memorable trip.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I was using minnows on light jigheads for the pickerel and caught the yellow perch on the same.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thank you.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

That was a quality outing!

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Well done! Now that's an outing to remember. What's the deal with pickerel, are they catch and release only? Are they any good to eat? I've never fished for them before...maybe I'll give it a shot at the next meet and greet, weather permitting.

Comment

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
                  Well done! Now that's an outing to remember. What's the deal with pickerel, are they catch and release only? Are they any good to eat? I've never fished for them before...maybe I'll give it a shot at the next meet and greet, weather permitting.
                  Pickerel, like Northern Pike are tasty. Having said that you need to be a maestro with a filet knife as they have a set of "Y" bones running down their sides that need to be removed and doesn't leave much meat. Most people don't bother trying to do it, and I don't blame them. I've done it a couple of times but no longer bother with it. Best to just treat them as catch and release.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Way to go man the striper/pickerel double header is an awesome pic
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

The Severn River is my home waters. For me, pickerel are a great fishing gift for the long, cold winter. There is not much else biting for most of that time. Pickerel are normally freshwater fish but can tolerate some degree of salinity. In brackish waters, like the Severn, they can survive but do not grow to the huge size they can reach in fresh waters. Each Severn creek and cove has its own sub-population of pickerel. Having fished for them for the past ten years, I see dramatic differences in populations in individual creeks and coves from year to year. They are susceptible to extremes in temperature, dissolved oxygen, salinity, etc. A single undesirable pollution event can wipe out much of a creek's population.

Due to that somewhat fragile status, I discourage other anglers from keeping pickerel. DNR rules allow you to keep several per day. If you feel strongly about keeping pickerel, please try to take just one of two fish from a given creek. Allow the fish there to grow and reproduce. As others noted, pickerel are not easy to clean.

So much for my sermon. A few years ago, I prepared a Powerpoint presentation about catching pickerel in tidal waters. I am happy to share that to anyone interested. If you want a copy, send me a pmail with your email address.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'll agree with the comments of others on this as well. Most people only C&R Pickerel as they are a great sportfish, but difficult to clean because of their Y-bones.

I will admit that I usually keep 1-2 pickerel each year, and did keep my two for the year on this trip, but its probably more satisfying watching a beautiful 20"+ pickerel swim back off into the depths...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Another great post! Thanks for sharing. Love the double species picture and of course love your Maryland pride...

John, I'd love to see the PowerPoint. That's great that you took the time and effort to make one, I'll PM you.
                          Shawn
                          2015 Ascend FS12T Angler Kayak - Desert Storm - 12'

Comment

Yeah it doesn't sound like or look like there is much meat on them so why bother when the end result is an undersized meal and less fish to catch later.

Comment

What's the deal with pickerel, are they catch and release only? Are they any good to eat? I've never fished for them before...maybe I'll give it a shot at the next meet and greet, weather permitting.
                              I think they're great fun to pursue. Since they're basically a shallow water fish, often you will see them strike your lure. They'll slash and crash most bass lures and they'll demolish a topwater bait when they're agreeable to do so. They'll even go airborne like a smallmouth bass. Or they may be finicky and maddeningly follow your lure without striking it. There's no predictor as to how they'll behave on a given day. But once you catch a 20 incher on an ultra-light rod or have one engulf your flyrod popper you'll be hooked as well as the pickerel on the end of your line.

John's presentation is excellent. That and his tutelage have upped my pickerel score. He's also correct to encourage releasing them to preserve the fun they offer us when other fish get scarce in the colder months.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X