Fishing in the rain produced a PB pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing in the rain produced a PB pickerel

This morning’s rain frustrated me. About 2:00, I checked the hourly forecast on weather.com and saw that the rain would continue until about 4:00 followed by cloudy conditions. I had nothing else going on, so I quickly put on my waders and GoreTex jacket and loaded the kayak for a short pickerel trip. I launched from Tucker St ramp about 2:45 to a light rain and no wind. I cast a 3” Fat Sam mullet in gold and a 4” Gulp in chartreuse – both on 1/8-oz jigheads. The fish were not biting aggressively. I had 15-20 bites and follows, but caught only three pickerel. The good news is that one of them was a personal best of 24.25” (I tried stretching it to 24.5, but it did not quite get there). I have fished for pickerel for at least 8 winters. Until last year, I never got one longer than 23.75”. Last December, I caught two 24” pickerel a week apart in different creeks. Today’s fish represented an incremental improvement. The big fish was tight to the shoreline (less than 2 ft out from the edge). I returned to the ramp at 4:30 for a short, but successful outing.

Here is an interesting observation about pickerel. When I bring a pickerel into the kayak, I grab it around the body behind the gills to control it while unhooking the fish. I don't squeeze hard, but hold the fish firmly to keep it from shaking. At least five different pickerel have made a grunting or squealing sound. Other than croaker or fish in the drum family, the other fish I catch do not make any noise. Have any others out there witnessed the noise?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Way to go!

The pickerel are certainly doing their part to keep us occupied.

Let's hope the action with them continues.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

John,

That's a great catch, and a lot of load on your light tackle. Glad you were able to get him to hand...congratulations on a new personal best.
      ST

Comment

Nice going John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Although I am not normally superstitious, I have fun with the "No bananas when fishing" superstition. If I plan to fish later in the day, I do not eat bananas. Today, with the rain, I had not expected to go fishing. I ate a large banana with my lunch. Then less than 3 hours later, I caught a big fish. I may need to reconsider the effect of bananas on fishing.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Well done, sir. Well done!!
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

images-5.jpeg

Comment

Congratulations on your pb.. Since I had off work, I fished in the rain Tuesday and Wednesday but only got 2 small pickerel.

Comment

John,
                  I've heard the squeal that you spoke of when I caught one of my first pickerel, it startled me actually. I haven't heard any make it since. I try to be really careful handling them.
                  New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
                    John,
                    I've heard the squeal that you spoke of when I caught one of my first pickerel, it startled me actually. I haven't heard any make it since. I try to be really careful handling them.
                    Only a small percentage of them make the noise. I did not hear it all last winter, but heard it several times this fall already.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for the chuckle. I'm not superstitious at all and know they have no scientific basis. However for some reason, I just don't touch or eat bananas on fishing days. I even catch myself reading the ingredients when eating yogurt. I must really want to catch fish so bad that I'm willing to "believe" the banana myth.

Donnie
                      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Apparently a lot of people have been doing well at Loch Raven for pickerel. As soon as I'm able to get back into the kayak that's where I'm headed to catch my first.

Zack
                        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                          Apparently a lot of people have been doing well at Loch Raven for pickerel. As soon as I'm able to get back into the kayak that's where I'm headed to catch my first.

Zack, there's a M&G this upcoming Saturday at Jonas Park in Annapolis to target Pickerel. Come on out!
                          New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by mccray44 View Post
                            Zack, there's a M&G this upcoming Saturday at Jonas Park in Annapolis to target Pickerel. Come on out!
                            I wish I could! I'm still recovering from a hip surgery so it should be a couple more weeks :-(

Zack
                            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                            X