Stripers still in Severn tributaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers still in Severn tributaries

I have fished in the Severn for the past three days. I fished in six different tidal creeks and coves. I observed pickerel chasing my lures and had bites and brief hook ups in all six, but only caught them in four of those tributaries. This is not surprising -- Severn pickerel appear to be abundant in most of the tributaries that I have visited so far.

What has surprised me is that I have also caught stripers on all three trips by trolling lines as I moved between tributaries or for more than a few hundred feet within a tributary. These are not large fish -- most are in the low to mid teens, but I did hook a 19" striper on Monday. By having lures in the water while paddling to a destination, I have been actively fishing for a higher percentage of my water time. In some cases, I troll using the same rods and lures that I am throwing to the pickerel. Yesterday I carried just two ultralight rods with 1/8-oz jigheads and paddletails. I decided to troll for 1/3 mile as I moved to my next target shoreline. Within a minute of tossing the lure overboard, I hooked a fat 15" striper that pulled hard on the ultralight rod.

On two of the trips, the stripers were caught at or near the creek mouths. On the third trip, the striper was caught in an upstream location where they have resided since Sept. I also caught one fish in deep water in the main river as I moved to the next tributary. Until I stop catching stripers, I plan to continue keeping lures in the water to maximize my pullage.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The prevalence of stripers in protected, easily kayaked waters this far into the fall has been a happy revelation for me this year. I don't know if it's unusual or routine but it has sure been fun.

A few weeks ago Raptor and I boated over 20 fat and feisty stripers far up a Bay tributary on the western shore. While we were catching fish after fish in a set trolling pattern within a 100 yards of a particular dock, a boater rigged with rods pulled away from that very dock. He must have been off for some very large fish because he sure left a lot of good action behind for us.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I live "up the creek ... " (just ask my wife) and I caught 4 15-16" stripers off the neighbors pier yesterday before work. I was surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
        I live "up the creek ... " (just ask my wife) and I caught 4 15-16" stripers off the neighbors pier yesterday before work. I was surprised.
        That's funny!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X