Pocomoke River Fishing 6/30-7/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocomoke River Fishing 6/30-7/4

This report covers multiple trips along the Pocomoke River, which is located on Maryland's eastern shore.

My recent trips were out of Shad Landing State Park or by launching in Snow Hill.

Fishing in the river is good for a variety of species. On most days fishing pressure from bass boats was heavy.

I fish almost exclusively for panfish in local rivers, except when pickerel are abundant.

Fishing with bait for bluegills is productive, especially in the backwater gunkholes and other areas where larger boats lack access. The bluegill also took small jigs on occasion, especially if they were tipped with a tiny piece of nightcrawler.

A couple things were surprising during these trips.

First, black crappie were biting in good numbers. The hard part is locating them. My best success seems to come from dead sticking a jig or tandem jigs just off the stern. This rig often outfishes lures that are casted or jigged. At times I was unable to use my primary rod as the dead stick just seemed to have the (lack of) action they like.

Secondly, the river is full of white perch, ranging from 3-4 inches up to hot-oil bath sized. After an outstanding spring fishery for both perch species, it is encouraging to see so many white perch around.

The white perch are not as picky as crappie and seem to take bait or lures equally.

For bass fishing, a standard go fast boat seems to have a slight edge, but for crappie, perch, sunfish and several other species, kayaks really seem to have the advantage in the types of habitat I encounter.

thanks for the report esmd. i like exploring the es tributaries going to exp. the blackwater refuge this fall when the skeeters arnt so plentiful

Comment

can you fish pocomoke with a bay/coastal license or do you have to get a fresh water license?

have you ever tried crappie magnets? I use them in PA and have had a lot of success with them. They are a shad dart jig head with a plastic body. Lots of colors available. They sell trout magnets too (smaller version) but both work well for panfish. My son caught a citation crappie a couple years ago on one.

https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/Cr...agnet-c-3.html

We jsut got back from a week in OCM and I was tempted to try the pocomoke, but we fished ESVA instead (and got skunked).

Comment

Originally posted by hooked View Post
        can you fish pocomoke with a bay/coastal license or do you have to get a fresh water license?
        If I understand the regs correctly, the bay license is all that is required up to the tidal-non-tidal line, which is just North of Snow Hill MD (porter's crossing).

I will look into crappie magnets. I do use old school shad darts extensively.

Comment

thanks for the report
          sigpic

Comment

yeah, obviously I'm love those little lures. even caught some snapper on them in florida.

Comment

Working...
            X