No announcement yet.

10 minute limit. Bay Bridge 7-06-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done sir. Well done Those are some healthy looking fish and the video came out great.

Like StupidJet i don't anchor when LL the bridge. Although after watching Pinch's video i might.

I paddle up to the pylon down current and drop my bait next to the pylon or if the current is ripping i will toss it upstream of the pylon. I then Place the rod down on the boat with the tip over the bow and butt under my leg and paddle to hold position or move around to other areas of the pylon. This way i can sneak inside of the 4 leg pylons and hit all sides of the them.

I also add a 1/2oz egg sinker above my swivel to make sure the bait gets down and this also allows me to fish vertically against the pylon and stay real tight to the structure.

Comment

Jack- The fishing is good when you limit out so fast- almost makes you want to release a fish so you can keep fishing, but we all know the regs on "culling."

Your anchor trolley is on the opposite side of the kayak to mine, but that is strictly preference- where did you get the wreck anchor? we used to make ones we used in power boats from 1/2 inch rebar but that is much too heavy for a kayak- It looks like the Bay Bridge trip is a pretty long paddle from the park to the fishing locations- took you about an hour to get out there- in your video I didn't see any boat traffic, so that says weekdays are best- weekends are tough any where on the Bay with fast movers pushing big wakes- I know you didn't have a depth finder in this trip but how deep is the water by the pylons you fished? It looks like you had one treble hook on mono leader without any weight- is this right or is it just unclear in the video? What size treble were you using? a 5/0? The spot were pretty good sized and didn't look too lively in the video but they worked,so they must have been OK- Have you tried using your cast net to get bait fish like we did at PLO?
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work! What happened with the motor? Loose connection at the rear?
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Jack- The fishing is good when you limit out so fast- almost makes you want to release a fish so you can keep fishing, but we all know the regs on "culling."

Your anchor trolley is on the opposite side of the kayak to mine, but that is strictly preference- where did you get the wreck anchor? we used to make ones we used in power boats from 1/2 inch rebar but that is much too heavy for a kayak- It looks like the Bay Bridge trip is a pretty long paddle from the park to the fishing locations- took you about an hour to get out there- in your video I didn't see any boat traffic, so that says weekdays are best- weekends are tough any where on the Bay with fast movers pushing big wakes- I know you didn't have a depth finder in this trip but how deep is the water by the pylons you fished? It looks like you had one treble hook on mono leader without any weight- is this right or is it just unclear in the video? What size treble were you using? a 5/0? The spot were pretty good sized and didn't look too lively in the video but they worked,so they must have been OK- Have you tried using your cast net to get bait fish like we did at PLO?
          The depth there is about 35''. I bought the wreck anchor from Kayak Kevin down at oceans east tackle shop in virginia beach. Weekday traffic hardly exists. I use a treble hook (i really cant remember the size but its fairly large) and no weight on the spot. Spot are bottom fish and are going to swim down there anyway. You can cast nest at the spsp launch an there are good size bull minnows and occaional peanut bunker there.
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
            Nice work! What happened with the motor? Loose connection at the rear?
            Im guessing im going to polish them up today and see if it works. Hopefully it work.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Likely culprit. I've had to clean my plug prongs last two times. I gotta start using dielectric grease to prevent corrosion build up. Same thing for my ff transducer plug...

Comment

Vaseline works as well if you don't have the other stuff on hand.

Oh and... Sick video pinch! That was an awesome tutorial for anyone who is thinking of fishing the pilings. I do things a little different than you bc I don't anchor and instead use an egg weight to get my spot in the strike zone and I use a circle hook incase I get a sick fish, small fish, or numerous other reasons for releasing fish. I wish I would have picked up one of those wreck anchors from Kevin when I was down there. He showed them to us and I had it in my hand, not sure why I didn't end up with it.

Where did you put your keepers? It looked like you just set them behind you...
                Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                  Vaseline works as well if you don't have the other stuff on hand.

Oh and... Sick video pinch! That was an awesome tutorial for anyone who is thinking of fishing the pilings. I do things a little different than you bc I don't anchor and instead use an egg weight to get my spot in the strike zone and I use a circle hook incase I get a sick fish, small fish, or numerous other reasons for releasing fish. I wish I would have picked up one of those wreck anchors from Kevin when I was down there. He showed them to us and I had it in my hand, not sure why I didn't end up with it.

Where did you put your keepers? It looked like you just set them behind you...
                  lol. i put the keepers in the livewell with the spot....you know...to motivate the spot. I used the grease, steel wool, sand paper and a .22cal bore brush to clean my plugs today. I bought 2 of those wreck anchors i mean at $4 they are worth it. I also fished the pilings differently b/c i had to paddle.
                  Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

How big is your livewell?

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                      lol. i put the keepers in the livewell with the spot....you know...to motivate the spot. I used the grease, steel wool, sand paper and a .22cal bore brush to clean my plugs today. I bought 2 of those wreck anchors i mean at $4 they are worth it. I also fished the pilings differently b/c i had to paddle.
                      I'll definitely pick one up next time. I just figured I'd loose it on the first try because the bottom is so sticky out there. I know it bends but that won't help the rope being stuck.

I saw you paddling, how'd you like that?! Makes those fish taste even better...
                      Used to fish more.

Comment

Im pretty sure i can make a few wreck anchors if i got buy an 8oz mold. If i do end up doing this anyone interested in buying them to cover the mold cost? Oceans east sells them for $3.99.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I'd take one if you can duplicate them. I also have some ideals for a tog anchor set up. I was just going to take shorter tines and put them through a tennis ball so I can toss them in the rocks at CHSP or maybe even just plain tines like a graple that would pull straight from the rocks when I was done. Toss the drift sock off the back and I should hold pretty straight I'd think.
                          Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                            I'd take one if you can duplicate them. I also have some ideals for a tog anchor set up. I was just going to take shorter tines and put them through a tennis ball so I can toss them in the rocks at CHSP or maybe even just plain tines like a graple that would pull straight from the rocks when I was done. Toss the drift sock off the back and I should hold pretty straight I'd think.
                            I like it we should get to work on these projects. will you be at the M&G saturday?
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I'll be there for the morning session and lunch, got to head back for a bbq at my house after that. We can talk more then. Also, while you're tying, check out rivets at home deopt. I want to say that's what people use for the tube part of fluke rigs and you can make a little jig to tie them in your vice. I'll get back to you on what the part is called.
                              Used to fish more.

Comment

Did the cleaning fix thing for ya?

Comment

Working...
                                X