Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/12 Just below bay bridge

20151212_132157.jpg
    Wind forecast was excellent for fishing the bay Saturday, decided to give it try. Launched at 8am from near Holly Beach farm (sorry private launch, couldnt invite you guys) paddled around white hall bay. Nothing on the screen and lots of leaves in the water. The shallows are definitely done for this season. We needed to get out to the deeper water so we headed east. Beautiful day out there, 65 sunny, no fog, no wind, no waves. It was like paddling on a lake. Almost felt like an early summer morning. Eventually got so warm I had to take my shirt off. Headed about 45 mins until the water dropped off to 35 feet. Put out my 4 rod spread. Trolled for a few hours with no bites. Headed south for a while and then BAM!! Zzzzznnnzz back line is peeling off line!!!! F YEA! ! I just put brand new braid on this rod so I knew I had him! Landed a new yak record for me 33" striper!! He hit a white bucktail with a twisty tail grub. (See pic) Wow what a fish. At this point I had a long paddle back so I turned around and began my way back. Ended up catching another fat 21 on the way in! Had my limit by 1pm. Great day!!! Good luck to you guys out there and be safe !

20151212_132024.jpg

20151212_132545.jpg

20151212_162257.jpg

Way to go Big Rick! Those are some nice fat keepers

You put the work in, and got rewarded.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Sitting here in a suit going to a corporate Christmas party and I needed a sweet report like this to help me with the suffering of wearing a tie. Good job!
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Way to go Rick, Love the photos!
        Harlan

Revo 13
        Trident 13
        Cuda 14
        Necky Tandem

Comment

Great catch!

Comment

VERY nice!! How deep was she?
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
              VERY nice!! How deep was she?
              Caught her in 28ft of water, bucktail was probably 40ft behind the boat and about 10-12 feet down. So basically middle of the water column.

Comment

Didn't know where else to ask and I came across this thread. What all can be caught in that area? A buddy of mine and I are looking for places to go catch some striper and saltwater species but we want to minimize drive time maximize yak time. We are in West Virginia. this would be a good place to start as its probably the closest saltwater but what all can be caught there? is it saltwater or brackish..
                2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                  Didn't know where else to ask and I came across this thread. What all can be caught in that area? A buddy of mine and I are looking for places to go catch some striper and saltwater species but we want to minimize drive time maximize yak time. We are in West Virginia. this would be a good place to start as its probably the closest saltwater but what all can be caught there? is it saltwater or brackish..
                  Both the Potomac and Patapsco rivers have been producing quality fish recently. Good Luck!
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

what type of fish can we expect throughout the seasons if we target this area if you don't mine me asking I see a lot of pickerel and some stripers... what about catfish or other tidal/brackish fish ...blues ever make it this far inland?
                    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                      what type of fish can we expect throughout the seasons if we target this area if you don't mine me asking I see a lot of pickerel and some stripers... what about catfish or other tidal/brackish fish ...blues ever make it this far inland?
                      Blues come up past the Bay Bridge, but only the smaller ones up to about 19-20". They show up when the water gets warm, and leave just as quickly when the water cools off. Aug and Sept are the best for finding blues local, by mid-Oct they disappear. 2015 was not a good year for migratory fish like blues and specks, they were around but mostly little ones. There were some Spanish Mackerel around, but I didn't hook one...hopefully 2016 will check that box.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X