Maiden outing in new boat: Rhode River Pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden outing in new boat: Rhode River Pickerel

I have been looking at upgrading my yak for months now and settled on a Slayer 10. I was going to wait until spring but having discovered that they were not going to offer it in Lime any more, my hand was forced. I picked up up right before xmas, then left town. This morning was my first chancre to try it out.

The Rhode is the closest launch to my house and I (correctly) assumed there would be little to no boat traffic today. I launched around 10am and headed right to fish the east shore of Camp Letts. On maybe my third cast I connected with a small pickerel. Unfortunately I had layered my phone too deep to dig it out but it was around 12-14" and very thin. When 10 min later I hooked an identical looking fish, I decided to beach myself so I could dig my phone out. I am glad I did as very soon after I caught this one:

He had much more fight in him than the first too and I was glad to have my grippers with me. Sadly my trough got left behind in my rush this morning. Also left behind was my spool of leader so when I mis-cast into a tree, I was left tying to bright yellow braid. The fish were picky and no matter what lure style I tried I had no further luck. All three fish were caught on this lure:

I lost more of them then I would like to admit, one of the few disadvantages of the peddle yak is that I cannot easily beach myself to retrieve badly snagged lures. I am going to buy a telescoping magnetic pick-up tool and rig a small blade to it so I can cut my lures down when they are snagged beyond my reach. Other then that I am over the moon with this boat, it is everything that I hoped it would be. I still need a ton of practice casting while working the peddles as I kept hitting my arms with my knees. I have a million questions about how to rig and transport it but for now I just want to get out while this weather lasts.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Congratulations on joining the Native family. I hope you have fun rigging it and using it. As you can already see, the Slayer Propels are fish-catching machines.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My favorite color, congrats on the new kayak, and catching fish on the maiden voyage!
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Good job on the boat and the catch.

Congratulations.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I love the color, and catching fish too.... Congrats on the new rig... It's Nice

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-14
          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Nicely done getting the skunk off the new boat right away. Congratulations on the new boat!
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice work and nice looking ride! I've never tried going after pickerel, so it's nice to know that the Rhode has fish when I'm ready to give it a shot - thanks for the tip.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thanks guys, I know I am really going to enjoy this thing. I know I am going to enjoy it a lot more when I can just wear shorts

I think I am going to hit the Severn on Thursday if the weather holds. I have some weedless tube jigs that I think, with some glue, will work great for 3" swimbaits. Hopefully that will help with my snagging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

That's a nice-looking kayak. Congrats on the catch. Look @ John Veil's for rigging intel.

Comment

Working...
                  X