Pickerel for the WIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel for the WIN!

I had originally meant to spend my day at the first Meet & Greet of the year up at BPS. After reviewing Windfinder, I realized that the days I would be free to fish next week would be blowing too hard for me to be out in open water chasing Rockfish. Today would be the last low wind day in the next 8, so I opted to go fishing instead.

I set out with the intent of warming up on some pickerel before heading out to chase the marks on my fish finder that have been haunting the last couple of trips. It was a good plan I was looking forward to cracking the code of turning marks on a screen into fish in my boat.

The water temperature was a cool 39 degrees and there was a fine mist falling as I ambled over to one of my favorite pickerel spots and began casting. I started throwing a watermelon / chartreuse Z-Man at traditional structure, hoping to get my day off to a toothy start.

After about 10 minutes of fruitless flailing, I stopped and reasoned that, since the water was quite chilly, maybe the fish were deeper, waiting for the day to ripen and their prey to get active. I started casting to open water, about 5' deep and slowed my retrieve to barely a crawl. On the third cast, I noticed a large brown shadow slowly following my bait right to the boat. I figured that, like so many times before, the fish would spook and head for it's favorite hole as soon as it realized where it was. When it didn't, I plopped the paddletail back in the water, right in front of it's face, only to have the fish explode on the bait and race for cover.

It was quit an adrenaline rush! Being only inches from the hull, there was't much room for a fight. Having lost countless nice pickerel right at the boat, I have started to carry a net. It paid off as I was able to scoop up the 22+" guy after he frantically swam in a dozen circles right next to the kayak. He was still pretty green and was clearly unhappy with his new perspective on the world.

It was a great way to start the day (for me, at least, not so much for him). Shortly after, I persuaded a fat 19'er to join me in the misty morning air.

Aesiegal joined on the water and after our own mini M&G, we continued to fish for picks before heading out to open water in search of stripers. During that time, I managed another 5 fish, 17' - 22", all caught in open water, 4'-5' deep.

Despite the solid action, I could not shake the thought of rockfish from my mind so I left the fish biting and went in search of the marks that I was seeing in my sleep. Sure enough, they were right where I had left them, 2 days prior, in 35 feet of water.

Try as I might, however, I could not convince any into a bite. We tried trolling and jigging, all to no avail. I actually ended up snagging a 19'er with a sting silver that I had been casting out and jigging back. To me, that was worse than a total skunk. The fish were thick enough 35' below that I retrieve a jig through them and hook one in the back, but they still had lockjaw.......

Anyway, in the wrestling match of Bass vs Pickerel, there was a definite winner. Some might say to was clearly the pickerel. I would argue that it was me. I had a blast!!

DSCN3767.jpgDSCN3768.jpgDSCN3769.jpgDSCN3772.jpgDSCN3776.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 01-10-2016, 06:16 AM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

I've yet to figure out what makes pickerels leave structure and hover in deeper water. I target structure first when I get to my chosen area and if that approach fails I cast to nearby drop offs.

I've seen little correlation between environmental factors like air temperatures and cloud cover to predict where they will be on a given day. One exception to that might be wind. I don't believe I have caught one tight to shore when the wind is significantly rippling the surface. I think they like quiet water and avoid shallows with surface disturbance.

But they'll probably prove me wrong on that assumption one day. So for now Bruce, I do what you did. When they aren't holding tight to structure I cast to nearby pools.

You have to admit that pickerels are more stealthy than stripers when it comes to revealing their location. You won't see them on your FF, you won't find them under flocks of diving birds and generally you have to catch a few to figure out their pattern for the day. You can't make simple assumptions about them. They're very worthy catches in my opinion.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      I've yet to figure out what makes pickerels leave structure and hover in deeper water. I target structure first when I get to my chosen area and if that approach fails I cast to nearby drop offs.

I've seen little correlation between environmental factors like air temperatures and cloud cover to predict where they will be on a given day. One exception to that might be wind. I don't believe I have caught one tight to shore when the wind is significantly rippling the surface. I think they like quiet water and avoid shallows with surface disturbance.

But they'll probably prove me wrong on that assumption one day. So for now Bruce, I do what you did. When they aren't holding tight to structure I cast to nearby pools.

You have to admit that pickerels are more stealthy than stripers when it comes to revealing their location. You won't see them on your FF, you won't find them under flocks of diving birds and generally you have to catch a few to figure out their pattern for the day. You can't make simple assumptions about them. They're very worthy catches in my opinion.
      I completely agree with you on their catch worthiness! Watching them go through their aerial gyrations is a sight to behold!! They certainly are crafty levels I am very happy they are around to fill the winter months.

The only thing I miss is the potential for a blistering run....
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        The only thing I miss is the potential for a blistering run....
        "He that can have patience, can have what he will." Benjamin Franklin
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats Bruce, It seems in order to catch fish one needs to move south in Maryland.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
          X