Quick trip to Piney Point, 7/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick trip to Piney Point, 7/7

I had time for a quick trip yesterday. I hit Piney Point to do some spot recon and to see if there was any topwater action. I launched at 6:15, which was just after peak flood. Water temp was 85* and salinity was 8.4.

The wind was blowing pretty hard, and I forgot my anchor, which made staying on fish impossible. I picked up a few 9" spot in short order, but it wasn't hot and heavy.

Just to prove I still have both arms:

Still not a jumbo, but big enough to eat. I kept a few for a buddy at work who likes to cook his fish whole. I also picked up a few 9-10" croaker that I put back for another day. All fish were caught on Fishbites (forgot the shrimp) in 7-10ft of water.

I was tired of the wind, so I headed to my perch spot, which is more sheltered. I had one really good run on a bottom rig, as opposed to a moc's fishfinder rig , with Fishbites, but it came unbuttoned for some reason. No takers on various small grubs.

The missus called and said dinner would be ready in an hour. She was making stuffed peppers, which I didn't want to miss, but that would mean not fishing during the magic hour. Oh, well. I headed to my topwater spot to see if they were there early. I trolled a 4.5" Bomber minnow on the way. It was too rough there for topwater lures, anyway, and nothing hit the minnow. I did pickup a 12" croaker for my buddy that I caught while switching out lures on my other rod.

I was back at the ramp by 8 and home by the time the peppers came out of the oven (pics are on my wife's camera). I caught dinner for my buddy and was home in time for my own dinner. I love it when a plan comes together.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

how close do you live to the water? always love reading about your trips, thanks
    sigpic

Comment

Bill, post some picks of those stuffed peppers that made you miss the magic hour. As for your rig, the MOC Bottom Fishing Rig is very unique and specialized setup. If you did not put it together correctly then you will not catch that many fish, including big croakers......

Comment

Bill- nice trip- i'll see you tomorrow at Mattawoman Creek-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Martin--as promised, photos of the peppers and of a breakfast burrito made from the leftover stuffing and some eggs:

Totally worth missing the magic hour for, even more so with the actual presentation.

stupidjet--I'm glad you like my reports. I'm really lucky with where I live. Anywhere else I end up living won't have as easy access to the water. Piney Point, Breton Bay, Buzz's, and PLO are all within a 30min drive or less. St. Mary's Lake is only 5min away, and my office is on the Patuxent at Solomons. I've been bummed because long hours at work have been keeping me from fishing as much as I usually do. Then it occurred to me that I still have almost two hours of fishing if I'm no the water by 7-7:30. There's good fishing within a stone's throw of the ramps at Piney Point and Breton Bay, so they make for good quick trips to get my pullage fix.

Ron--I'm looking forward to it.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Man, are you sure that you did not steal those pictures from a cookbook?

Comment

Nice Bill! You're lucky to be so close to the bay. When I first moved to the area I was looking in MD. But, work was in NoVA. Then, I saw the traffic and figured better to be closer to work than fight it.

Awesome looking peppers. Yum! See you later...

Comment

Working...
              X