Product Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Questions

Hello all i am looking for advise on a particular boat to see if it might be the right choice for me. i have been fishing out of my canoe for the past couple years and think i am ready to transition into a kayak. The issue i am having is the fact i am not a tiny guy 6' 2" 370lbs not including equipment, finding the right boat is very important since i am not a big fan of being in sketchy situations. The boat i am considering is the ATAK 140, if you have any input or perhaps another suggestion i am all ears. thanks for listening and looking forward to seeing you on the water.

Originally posted by Bill Dickerson View Post
    Hello all i am looking for advise on a particular boat to see if it might be the right choice for me. i have been fishing out of my canoe for the past couple years and think i am ready to transition into a kayak. The issue i am having is the fact i am not a tiny guy 6' 2" 370lbs not including equipment, finding the right boat is very important since i am not a big fan of being in sketchy situations. The boat i am considering is the ATAK 140, if you have any input or perhaps another suggestion i am all ears. thanks for listening and looking forward to seeing you on the water.
    I don't post much but Welcome! I highly recommend the ATAK but always test it before you buy. It's super stable and a great all round boat. Delaware Paddle Sports is carrying them now. Buddy did a review on mine. Check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrnmQzABxwg
    Kevin Markland
    @k.markland
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrK...XAJGcn9VEYDG2w

2015 Wildy ATAK- Flint Camo
    2014 Perception Pescador 12- Sand

Comment

Something to consider that i found hard to get out of different Manufactures: Not just the weight limit of the Kayak itself, but the limit on the seat. I am about 250 to 260, most camp chairs are rated for about 225lb with a few upto 300lb-just an example.

The Feelfree kayak guys could not tell me the limit on the seat, just that they know of someone bigger then myself in one.-I guess that was the RD.

Lots of Kayaks with high weight capacity out there. Check out the Nucanoe Frontier- I 've seen videos with guys upto 400lbs in it. It's completely wide open and adaptable!

Comment

The Atak seems nice. Have you consider Malibu Stealth 14? It also boast a 550 lb weigh capacity. It has a keel which helps track beautifully. I think it has much more storage for overnighters and multi-day trips. I love the built in rod holders which are perfect for trolling. it also has a built in live well. The Atak has a better seating though.
        Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
        2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
          The Atak seems nice. Have you consider Malibu Stealth 14? It also boast a 550 lb weigh capacity. It has a keel which helps track beautifully. I think it has much more storage for overnighters and multi-day trips. I love the built in rod holders which are perfect for trolling. it also has a built in live well. The Atak has a better seating though.
          Malibu stealth with the X wing is very attractive !
          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
          LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I have a new Malibu X Factor which has the same hull as the Stealth just a different arrangement on top. They have made some good if minor changes to the bottom in the past couple years. I'm a big guy and i certainly feel comfortable in the malibu......the Stealth14/xfactor is much faster than the Stealth 14.

Tbat being said, the Atak is a pretty nice boat. it is wider and shorter than the stealth 14, but it appears to be stiffer, which always adds some speed. It is much better for standing to fish

If you are a big guy test paddle the new Prowler Big Game II.....it is a real nice boat and faster than you'd think. I really like that boat

All three arw super stable and made for fishing
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
            X