• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its been a Super Day!!

DSCN3826.jpgDSCN3825.jpgDSCN3818.jpgDSCN3815.jpgDSCN3811.jpgDSCN3807.jpg
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Wow!! Healthy looking fish Bruce...congrats again!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Frustrated with yesterday's skunking, I returned to fish the changing tide. I launched about 10:30 for a 11:40 low tide. The water temp was 37 degrees and the air 40. Winds were 5-10 from the NNE.

My initial passes yielded few, if any marks. I thought it would be a repeat of yesterday's trip. On the second pass through, I passed a solid mark of a couple of fish. Within moments, my starboard pole was smashed. I immediately knew it was a quality fish. The singing drag made that clear. After about 5 minutes I boated a 27" FAT rockfish - tying my PB. Circling back, I came up empty. The fish had moved on.

I continued through my 1/2 mile circuit when I had my port rod go down. As I was reeling in the fish, my braid parted right at the reel. I was somewhat stunned by that, but quickly noticed that broken line was floating nearby. I paddled over, grabbed it and hand-lined in a FAT 24" striper.

After re-rigging that rod, I set it out and as soon as I set tension, the line parted again. Clearly, I have some kind of sharp edge that needs to be attended to so I stowed it in my crate and focused on what I had left.

During the re-rigging, I had drifted out of my lane. When I regained it, I noted several strong marks. 20 strokes later, my starboard rod was smashed even more violently than the first. As I was fighting what turned out to be my new PB at 29", I noticed that my FF screen was filled with BIG marks of a significant school.

I had been using a tandem rig with 2 jigs. When I landed the brute, the second rig was missing. I am wondering if I had a double and one broke free....

By the time I circled around, ready for more action, the screen was blank. Clearly, I had a school swimming through the channel while I was in place with baits in the water.
      Several circuits later, I failed to relocate them so I headed home content in my finally catching the fish that I knew to be there, but had eluded me during recent trips.

The fish were all very FAT and healthy. The 2 biggest hit a G Eye jig w/ skirt and Z-mann (Opening Night), while the smaller 24" was landed on a chartreuse Yo-Zuri jointed Deep Diver that I had out because I wanted to cover the middle of the water column.

Now I am ready for some football!!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Good stuff! Great job with the hand lining.

Comment

Bruce: Congratulations! Your persistence paid off big time! Looks like a "she" loaded with roe.
          WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Nice report Bruce, congrats on your PB.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Those fish look overinflated and outside legal limits. Wow they are pretty!
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice job, it's good to see there is still some quality fish around.

Comment

Man, those are some FAT fish! Great report!
                  2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Nice fish! How heavy are the jigs that you are trolling?
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      Nice fish! How heavy are the jigs that you are trolling?
                      I had a tandem that used a 1/2 oz and a 3/4 oz, paddlling about 2.5 mph
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Nice job Bruce! Hand lining and everything too! With a busted ankle and tons of work piling up, I'm livin vicariously through your update BIG TIME. Cheers!
                        -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Nice work Bruce! And who said you need a hobie to catch em' trolling....
                          John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                          Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great job Bruce! Those are some nice ones.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Nice fish my fishing motivation has been low but after reading this it's rising!

Comment

Working...
                              X