Maryland M&G idea- eat an invasive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland M&G idea- eat an invasive?

So I'm new to the forum, but I was thinking that maybe we should organize some sort of M&G in the summer or fall, where the highlight would be invasive species, and doing our small, but important part, on reducing their numbers (even though most are well established). We could have some group outings for a few days leading up to the event, and then bring some grills, fryers, etc., and cook up some blue catfish, snakehead, and maybe even steam or boil some rusty crayfish (or some of the other invasive species like virile, etc.) Thoughts? No idea where the majority of members live or where the events are typically held, just thought I would throw the idea out there.

Sounds great. Just pick a date and location.

It's a little too late to include it on the 2016 M&G calendar (they were planned at the annual January meeting).

But don't let that stop you. Folks plan fishing trips and informal M&G's all year round. And many of them have some good recipes too.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Yeah well I would have to ask around and get some good spots for blue cats and snakeheads. Like I said I've only encountered snakeheads in the Anacostia, and I wouldn't eat those. So once I see some reports of snakeheads and blue catfish popping up, I can get the ball rolling. I might have the hookup on rusty crayfish spots since my friend did a research project on them in college, and gathered hundreds of them for it.

Comment

the Patuxent River near upper Marlboro is full of blue cats. i think it would be a pretty good spot to look into
        Jackson
        Jackson Cuda 12
        Field and Stream SOT
        "It is often beyond our reach to describe to others the effect upon the soul that the fellowship of men upon a river, rod in hand, brings." John Eldredge

Comment

A good area for blue catfish (channel cats as well) and snakeheads would be Mallows Bay.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Just my opinion, but I believe the catfish king(s) here is/are Kevin Frye and Ictalaurus ( forgive me Bill, if I butchered the spelling.)
            2015 Outback
            2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! As the weather warms and people start fishing more, we can plan this out. I'm thinking mallows bay might be a good idea, might be a bit more secluded than upper Marlboro.

Comment

Mattawoman creek is loaded with blue cats...and there are some decent snakeheads there- they have been heavily fished and bow hunted at night so the snakeheads are no where nearly as plentiful as they were a couple of years ago- we were catching really big snakeheads before the boys started night bow fishing with big generators on flat bottomed aluminum jonboats in the lilies and spatter dock...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Well, i think that we are going to have to return to Marshall Hall for march m&g as my other So Md spots have not had them show up yet....the target species is Blue Cats....we can eat some fterwards at Accokeek, Seafood...they serve good catfish
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by alabamaangler View Post
                    the Patuxent River near upper Marlboro is full of blue cats. i think it would be a pretty good spot to look into
                    I think that would be a good area. They are already established in the Potomac, but to help DNR's goal of limiting their locations, getting population down in rivers that they haven't been established for 40 years (Though they have been in the Patuxent at least 10 years in breeding sizes, but it's a large enough population to make the fishing more fun).

Comment

Working...
                    X