Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member / First Post / ?

Hello,

New to the forum as I recently relocated down to Calvert County from PA. Looking forward to getting on the water and exploring the Chesapeake. I'm not necessarily a kayak fishing rookie; however, the Chesapeake and salt water is something new for me. I am eager to learn from anyone that is willing to share a few pointers.

Anyone launching out of Calvert County anytime soon that has room for one more?

Also curious if any of the MD artificial reef locations have proven productive for anyone?

Take care,
    Mike

Mike,

Welcome to Maryland and to the forum.

You've come to the right place. There is plenty of excellent kayak fishing information shared here daily. You can also search on particular topics to see what was discussed in the past.

I've had success fishing over artificial oyster reefs in the Severn and recently I heard a professional fishing guide speak positively about artificial reefs in general in the Chesapeake.

He noted that their locations are well documented: http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...yFlier0209.pdf
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What Mark said.

Welcome!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Welcome. I kayak troll your area fairly frequently. It's a good spot. I'm sure Gary (Yak67) and Big Mike will say hello. They were a big help to me my first year. See you on the water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Mike, Welcome to the site. As stated above, you will find here that for which you seek.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen, I am looking forward to some warmer weather and seeing you on the water.

Mike

Comment

Welcome Mike! Are you in northern or southern Calvert? It does make a difference on where you might conveniently fish. Most of the Patuxent is closed to rockfish until the summer season starts and Calvert has limited bayside access so you may find St. Mary's or the Annapolis area better bets. I'll be out of commission until mid May or so from surgery but will keep you in mind for any trips we do. Gary and I try to get out 3-5 days a week.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mike - I'm located somewhat central in Calvert County, near Prince Frederick. As you mentioned, I am quickly discovering that the Bay side of Calvert is very limited when it comes to convenient & assessable public launch locations. Please reach out when you start to hit the water. Thanks, Mike

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike. Lots of good people here with some excellent intel on local fishing.

I'm near the Waldorf area but frequently hit PLO and the bay bridge once the weather warms up.

See you on the water.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                  2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                  Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Hi Mike (and all),

I'm also a new member - first post too! After moving to MD (Calvert) last year I've been reading this forum regularly, but now figure it's time I contributed to the great discussions I see here. I'm currently in the Chesapeake Beach/North Beach area and last year had good success launching from Rose Haven. Caught plenty of rockfish there - particularly in October - and even won a lengthy battle with a big cownose. Depending where you are in PF, Rose Haven is about 30-mins drive from you.

This spring we're moving to Huntingtown, so I plan to hit up the Patuxent as well as the Bay. There's a few nearby Pax launches on our side: Lower Marlboro pier, King's Landing, 231 bridge, Jefferson Patterson park and the Solomon's Bridge. I haven't fished any of them yet so can't give you much guidance, but I'll let you know when I start hitting the water.

Cheers,
                    Karl

Comment

Welcome to the forum Karl.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You should be able to launch from Breezy Point. I'm getting a Kayak soon, and don't live far from there, tho I'm just going launch from my beach.
                        2016 Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game Angler II

Lets pretend we know what we're doing...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Mike,

Welcome to Maryland and to the forum.

You've come to the right place. There is plenty of excellent kayak fishing information shared here daily. You can also search on particular topics to see what was discussed in the past.

I've had success fishing over artificial oyster reefs in the Severn and recently I heard a professional fishing guide speak positively about artificial reefs in general in the Chesapeake.

He noted that their locations are well documented: ohttp://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...yFlier0209.pdf
                          For those of us without a fish finder with latitude/longitude locator, what is the best free app to download on an I-Phone? Thanks

Comment

Well before I bought my chart plotter FF, I dropped $10 on Navionics Boating USA. It still comes in handy now and then.

But since you're looking on the free side, you might want to try Trimble GPS Fish Free.

I also stumbled upon Trimble GPS Map Free (formerly Cabela's Recon Maps).

Both Trimble apps have good reviews.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                              Well before I bought my chart plotter FF, I dropped $10 on Navionics Boating USA. It still comes in handy now and then.

But since you're looking on the free side, you might want to try Trimble GPS Fish Free.

I also stumbled upon Trimble GPS Map Free (formerly Cabela's Recon Maps).

Both Trimble apps have good reviews.

Great, thanks Buzz.

Comment

Working...
                              X