Beechwood Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beechwood Park

Mark and I launched from Beechwood park this morning. I had never used the new trail and launch area. It was not as long or as steep as I had anticipated. Even an old guy with a sore back managed just fine. You do need a cart or a buddy to carry one end. The parking area near the head of the kayak launch trail offered 8-10 parking places.

When we finished our trip, we met Lisa from the Anne Arundel Water Access committee, who was checking out the new launch facility.

Now for an on-the-water report. We launched a few hundred yards away from where the shoreline anglers stood shoulder-to-shoulder. We paddled out and began heading upstream. I looked across the water and saw a bright orange bobber in the middle of the river. I paddled over to see if it just floating along (I planned to pick it up). As I approached the bobber, it appeared it was moving downstream faster than the current. As I pulled up next to the bobber, it went under and disappeared. Apparently a fish was attached to the line on the bobber. Mark and I waited a few minutes to see if the bobber surfaced again, but never saw it.

We moved upstream casting as we went along. We proceeded as far as we could go until I literally bottomed out the paddle-powered kayak. In these headwaters, I saw numerous clumps of yellow perch egg masses. The ones in the photos were in about 1 ft water depth and were draped over a branch.

20160309_093027.jpg 20160309_093042.jpg

Neither of us had a bite in upper reaches of the river. We headed downstream past Beechwood and cast to some other shorelines. I had to be off the water by 11:00. I told myself I had time for just 5 more casts. On the second cast (to submerged branches near a point) I felt resistance. Initially I thought I had snagged on branches. But soon I felt a head shake and saw the line move sideways. I caught an 20" pickerel to avoid the skunk.

The fish were not biting well at all. We did not see any fish caught by the shoreline anglers at Beechwood. Until the very end of the trip (and well downstream) we did not encounter fish either. Judging from the egg masses, the yellow perch may have done their thing and moved on. But it was such a beautiful morning, we were not too disappointed. I saw a red fox, bald eagle, a pair of red tailed hawks, ducks, geese, my first osprey of the season, and many other local birds. The water was flat calm.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Today was my first time launching there.

John is correct that the new path to the water is a big improvement over the previous path. But I would encourage you to travel light, even with a cart. The last third of the path on the way back is a formidable slope. Getting to the water (all downhill) is absolutely no problem, of course.

I live only 5.7 miles from the park and I have traveled over the bridge on Magothy Bridge Road countless times. It was good to explore the water I have seen so often from my car.

Here is John on bobber alert:

A.jpg

It's a darned shame we couldn't catch that fish to free it.

I was surprised at how shallow the upper portions were beyond the bridge. It's 6 feet deep at the bridge but the bottom comes up fast after you pass under the bridge. My fins and even my rudder bottomed out often. But the river on the launch side of the bridge has depths of 6 to 10 feet. The next time I go I'll forgo the shallow end and concentrate on the deeper water.

Here's a shot of the shore fishermen:

B.jpg

I took this photo on the way back from the upper reaches. There were more anglers in that tight spot when we launched.

I threw paddletails, a jig spinner, and a curly tail grub, all on 1/8 jig heads. I felt not even the slightest tap from a fish. But I enjoyed the ride and scoping out a new area. The new path to the launch site holds much promise for kayak anglers. I certainly plan to make good use of it this season.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-09-2016, 10:59 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It always amazes me how fast they disappear after the spawn. Sure was a beautiful day to be out there searching.

Comment

Glad the slope was manageable and glad you got to enjoy the environment. Remember the old adage - Even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Cliched to be sure, but true nonetheless!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks for the reports guys. Nice to see that there were plenty of egg ribbons about. I was actually planning on heading there tomorrow afternoon and just trying from the banks, but looks like the movement and the spawn is caput. Maybe I'll try the Spriggs area downriver just for fun. It's that time of year again!

Comment

Working...
          X