FT Armistead 3-23-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT Armistead 3-23-16

img00005.tis.jpgimg00003.tis.jpgWent out of FT Armistead this morning with Mikemike, qdawgyaker, Ryan and Daolai.
    Left the dock in the dark at 0630. We all trolled out to the usual spots with not hits, and then Qdawyaker started us off with a nice 22"incher and everyone except me starting catching fish.

The guys hooked into some fat fish, with Mikemike getting his PB on Rock at 28"inches, a FAT 28" incher

The hook-ups were sporadic and spotty. The winds picked up about 10 a.m. and three of us called it quits and Ryan and Daolai stayed out. Bruce (EMSER) met us at the ramp and launched and headed out to meet the other guys. I sure he will reply to this post with pics and numbers

We are planning to launch again this Saturday at FT Armistead at 0630 a.m.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LEimg00010.tis.jpgimg00009.tis.jpg
    Last edited by Yak67; 03-23-2016, 06:36 PM. Reason: add pictures

congrats!!! guess its time for me to get off my butt and unwrap my PA from its winter slumber
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

God job. The hogs should be here soon.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I had to go in to work first thing this morning, so I was unable to join Yak67, Mikemike and qdawgyaker at their early morning launch. I arrived at 9:30am just as they were pulling out. They reported good fish, up to 28" , so I launched despite the building 10-15+ winds.

The first half hour paddle to my destination showed marks but no activity. When I arrived on site, I met up with Ryan and Daolai who had been catching much of the morning. As soon as I spoke to them, I immediately caught a fat 24" and then another fatty at 26". I was stoked thinking that would be a foreshadowing of things to come - more and bigger fish!

The next 2.5 hours produced about 15 more fish, but none of the size of the first 2... Most were mid to upper teens with a few 20 / 21" thrown in. Many took a bucktail / paddle tail combo and others on an xrap. and were in 7-8' of 46 degree water during an ebbing tide. There were concentrated in an area where the bottom was more uneven that the otherwise uniform surroundings.

All in all, it was a decent day. I had been hoping for some bigger fish, but I just gotta be patient.....

G0016095.jpgG0016248.jpgG0019038.jpgG0019138.jpgG0019650.jpg
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Great report guys, thanks for allowing those of us still in the daily grind to enjoy your reports, (while we work)
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Those big girls showed up at Calvert Cliffs this week. That's where all the big fish pics are coming from. That's where we need to go!!! Some guys have fished it from a kayak, but man, it seems dangerous to me. I only fish it in a boat. I was hoping to get down there this week, but it didn't happen :-( On a calm day we could do it, but it's a hike for many of us.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

My Buddy's Charter boat is head down to To Solomon's Island next weekend! Its a 46 Robins, I am sure it could carry 4-5 yaks

Comment

Alan, I was under the impression that CC was too far to get to with a kayak? Has anyone on here ever tried it-from a kayak?
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                  Alan, I was under the impression that CC was too far to get to with a kayak? Has anyone on here ever tried it-from a kayak?
                  Oh yeah, several people have done it.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

i would venture to say the best launch would be from flag harbor which is just north of the power plant. The bay down here right now this morning is like glass s far as i can see across. if its a day with no winds out of the north or north east, you should have an easy day launching from flag harbor. good luck to who ever goes. I'm waiting on some parts to come in to do some mods to the PA before i start my season. see you all in a few weeks on the water for sure!!!
                    Rich
                    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Calvert Cliffs is doable from a kayak but very risky and should not be attempted by inexperienced kayak anglers. Big fish, strong current, and cold water make it a dangerous place. I've caught some nice fish there in the kayak but generally stop fishing it when the boats show up numbers like they have now. Too many close calls with idiots who were not paying attention or caring. If you do go never go alone and make sure there is no East in the wind.

image.jpg

Comment

i suggested flag harbor earlier but several folks have PM'd me saying thats private so I'm sorry if i suggested bogus info. i only went to the cliffs once when i first got my yak last year and i launched from hog point on the base at Pax River. and i will say that was one hell of a kick for the two small fish i caught. but it was a flat calm day.
                        Rich

Comment

Those first two were really nice looking fish. Glad you got into them
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Great meeting and fishing with you guys. You guys really put on a clinic on catching. Emser comes out and bang back to back fat fish. Hope to fish with you guys again.20160323_103637(0).jpg20160323_103130.jpg20160323_065127.jpg

Comment

I went out on a charter to CC last week but was a little too early all we caught were dinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X