Wind at Smallwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind at Smallwood

For those with experience at Smallwood, what tends to be the max wind before it gets dicey? Assume from other posts and looking at it that it's a lower threshold because of the exposure. And am I right that it's winds from the N and E that present the greatest problems?
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

You are correct about the wind directions. Once you get over 10, it can be a lot of work. Also keep in mind what the tide is doing. When wind and tide work in opposite directions,you get a lot more chop. Southerly breezes are your friend there
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Haven't caught a bad wind yet at Ft. Smallwood, been lucky the few times I have been out there. I do know that Ft. Armistead get's pretty nasty quick and imagine Smallwood would be the same or worse. Thinking back I believe I caught what Emser described, a wind from the NE on an incoming tide. Little bracing getting back from the other side of the key bridge and very choppy for somewhere around a 10 -15 mph wind. Coming in over the shallow water doesn't help and the chop can be way worse as you head back. Didn't quite realize the condition until on the way in as the deeper water wasn't quite so bad and the wind as I said wasn't what you would consider howling or anything. Lesson learnt until it happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
        Coming in over the shallow water doesn't help and the chop can be way worse as you head back. Didn't quite realize the condition until on the way in as the deeper water wasn't quite so bad and the wind as I said wasn't what you would consider howling or anything. Lesson learnt until it happens again.
        Plus 1 on that!

I got caught in a similar situation at Ft. Smallwood last year. It's the only time in many many miles in my Revo that I thought I was going to become a submarine commander. Plus I heard a few pleasantries from the shore fishermen who assumed I was too close to their lines. They were very creative in their profanity, actually.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Plus 1 on that!

I got caught in a similar situation at Ft. Smallwood last year. It's the only time in many many miles in my Revo that I thought I was going to become a submarine commander. Plus I heard a few pleasantries from the shore fishermen who assumed I was too close to their lines. They were very creative in their profanity, actually.
          That's funny, I also had a few curses and I think some lead thrown at me when I was paddling in for my life. Maybe it didn't look so dire from shore but it sure felt it.

Comment

Got dicey quick this morning at FT Armistead with me, Qdawgyaker and Mikemike. Launched at 7am and returned at 9am, the winds were supposed to be 5mph, even checked the marine band before we pushed off, still reporting winds going down. It was work going out, but Deadliest Catch coming back in with us all trying to bob-and-weave thru the chop and wind. That's a place for flat-and calm. NO wind

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

"Deadliest Catch", oh man, now you got we worried. Glad you all got in safely. I must have been on a streak of good luck with my trips to Armistead and Smallwood. Between the two have to have been out 10 - 15 times last year and have only had the one really bad day. I'll be sure to watch the weather, not that it was much help to you, more carefully when heading there.

Thanks to everybody for the input. This is where Sanaggedline really shines and am really glad I've followed this thread and have some very pertinent information.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                Got dicey quick this morning at FT Armistead with me, Qdawgyaker and Mikemike. Launched at 7am and returned at 9am, the winds were supposed to be 5mph, even checked the marine band before we pushed off, still reporting winds going down. It was work going out, but Deadliest Catch coming back in with us all trying to bob-and-weave thru the chop and wind. That's a place for flat-and calm. NO wind

Yak67
                2015 Hobie PA-14
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Yeah, I went to Smallwood this AM, and while there was one yak out there, I bailed after pondering a launch for 20 min. It looked way too choppy. Thought about joining you all at Ft Armistead but figured it would be the same, so found quieter waters and had a good day.
                Michael
                Washington, DC
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post

Yak67
                  2015 Hobie PA-14
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE
                  I launch between Ft. Armistead and Smallwood - drove down at 6:30 that morning expecting calm water and no wind. Saw a lot of wind and chop and turned around and went home. Did the same Sunday morning - again, 5 MPH wind predicted, again huge chop. Sat there for an hour waiting for it to calm down, but no dice. I returned at about 1 PM and finally got a few hours of calm water/wind and had a decent afternoon. Of course, the wind picked back up right in my face for the paddle home. At least I wasn't in a hurry.
                  2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

I drive over the Key Bridge many days on my way to work and it's amazing what a little wind can do out there! On the way home today, white caps as far as the eye could see! Be careful fishing around the bridge because the current can be really strong, especially with wind working.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X