Quick outing pays off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick outing pays off

This morning the weather guys called for high winds and rain. After breakfast I checked the actual conditions, saw that things were not as bad as predicted, and decided to go out for a short trip.

I fished from my 11' paddle-powered Native Manta Ray 11 and trolled three medium spinning rods with paddletails. I trolled for 1.5 hours and caught 12 stripers, including my second largest ever from the kayak (29.5" -- I could not lean back far enough to get the whole fish in the photo). The big fish came seconds after another rod began shaking with a 20" striper. That was several minutes of excitement to deal with both of those fish.

001.jpg 002.jpg

About 11:30 I experienced a rapid 180-deg shift in wind direction, a brief period of high winds, and a few minutes of rain. That added a bit of extra drama to the trip.

I used a 3" paddletail on one rod, a 4" paddletail on a second rod, and a 5" Storm Shad on the third rod. During the 1.5 hours I caught 12 stripers. The Storm shad was not touched at all. The 3" paddletail caught about 7 of the fish, including the large one, and the 4" paddletail caught about 5 fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Those are some healthy looking fish John!

Comment

Well played, sir. Good decision to go out!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice job, thanks for the report.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Great work John, catching between the wx systems.....Anyone who followed the wx reports would have stayed onshore this am. It reminds me of the lyrics, "You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind's blowing".....
          I also made a 5 mile loop this morning with my visiting nephew. We caught plenty and ended up in near flat calm conditions at the end of the ebbing tide.

Great that you caught the new PB from a kayak....that's a ton of fish to land over the gunnel of a kayak.....congrats and well done. Good activity for March, often a winter month!

ST

Comment

Sweet

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
            2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
            Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
            X